Huge sudden speed drop

Author
wakevortex
New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi..this has happened before where for no real reason the speed of backups has dropped to a crawl..
im now down to around 30Mb/s and its simply taking forever ..
also they are not able to be cancelled..I have to kill all Macrium processes..
The resolution before (with a support ticket) was a new build which fixed it instantly ..
I cant now seem to open a support ticket as it says my support has expired...how do I renew that?
my version is 8.1 build 7675
Any help appreciated

wakevortex
wakevortex
New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)
This one has been running 3 hours with 3 to go it seems.  !
wakevortex
wakevortex
and here is the disk write performance so something is killing the backup speed... 
wakevortex
wakevortex
Looking like this MAY be a bad drive issue..a repeat of the write test on Drive D- the main backup  (a spinning internal drive) dropped to 25Mb/s ...just running chkdsk on it now, so we will see (thats also being interminably slow !  ) 
Will report back...
capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
It's my understanding that once a home user's support period has expired, it cannot be renewed.  This may not be the case for the business product.

Can you describe the storage (repository) drive that may be the issue?  In addition to chkdsk, consider running any disk utility that may be provided by the manufacturer.

Windows 10 Home (22H2)  Build 19045.4046 (Desktop)
Windows 11 Home (22H2)  Build 22621.1992  (Laptop)
Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

wakevortex
wakevortex
capair45 - 6 November 2023 1:07 PM
It's my understanding that once a home user's support period has expired, it cannot be renewed.  This may not be the case for the business product.

Can you describe the storage (repository) drive that may be the issue?  In addition to chkdsk, consider running any disk utility that may be provided by the manufacturer.

Hmm.  thanks ! .thats interesting about support. !...didnt know that
Re the drive , its a Seagate IronWolf Pro ST4000NE001 4 TB ...windows scan from properties/tools just reported no issues..
Just to be clear I updated the Asus Bios yesterday...is there any way something could have been reset incorrectly in Bios that would make the drive behave like this...I didnt mention that before, as I didnt see how it could affect it in any way as it is visible and writable..
just checked a basic windows copy of a large file..  ...achieved 170Mb/s so that seems  normal..
all very odd...will try seagates seatools next... 

capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
It may not be all that important but your log shows you're doing a File / Folder backup (.mrbak) and the original post was made to the Disk Imaging forum.  No biggie.  Just FYI for future issues.

Windows 10 Home (22H2)  Build 19045.4046 (Desktop)
Windows 11 Home (22H2)  Build 22621.1992  (Laptop)
Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

wakevortex
wakevortex
capair45 - 6 November 2023 1:49 PM
It may not be all that important but your log shows you're doing a File / Folder backup (.mrbak) and the original post was made to the Disk Imaging forum.  No biggie.  Just FYI for future issues.

Yes..it affects both types equally..it does 1 F+F and 2 Disk images a day, and its all slow (but all being backed up to that same drive)
I just tried a macrium backup to another drive (M2) and it flew..so it looks like its not a macrium issue... any ideas if anything in the bios change could have affected a spinning drives transfer speed ?
Odd though that windows copied to it at 170Mb/s i
Seekforever
Seekforever
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Macrium is very good at helping out-of-support users if they problem is attempted to first be resolved through this forum even if they don't have any obligation to do so. Your problem is a little weak because it now indicates that it may not be a Reflect problem at all.  If you do raise a ticket with expired support be sure to reference the thread the problem was discussed in.
A search indicates that BIOS can affect disk performance, can you roll back to see if it is an issue? If your test to the M2 is a NVME then it is a different interface than SATA.
For something to do:
Try the disk on a different MB port.
Check the source disk as well as the target disk in case the program is having trouble reading.
wakevortex
wakevortex
Seekforever - 6 November 2023 2:40 PM
Macrium is very good at helping out-of-support users if they problem is attempted to first be resolved through this forum even if they don't have any obligation to do so. Your problem is a little weak because it now indicates that it may not be a Reflect problem at all.  If you do raise a ticket with expired support be sure to reference the thread the problem was discussed in.
A search indicates that BIOS can affect disk performance, can you roll back to see if it is an issue? If your test to the M2 is a NVME then it is a different interface than SATA.
For something to do:
Try the disk on a different MB port.
Check the source disk as well as the target disk in case the program is having trouble reading.

Thanks..all understood... will work through and see how I get on with it...much appreciated. !
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search