Screen display when using Rescue Media

Author
Jerry
Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
On my old free version of Reflect I created a Rescue CD V8.0.7279 Windows PE10 V 2004.  Wanted to restore an image and screen resolution was so big that the button to click on FINISH wasn't visible and I couldn't scroll to it.  There wasn't any scrolling bar.  Went and used an older rescue CD that was fine V8.0.6758 Windows PE10 1709. 
Did I do something wrong creating that Rescue Media, never had this happen before on my desktop (which is paid version) or on the Laptop (free version) before. 

Jerry
Jerry
Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)
Was this just a dumb question that no one wants to answer? 

capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
Certainly not a dumb question.

I've had issues with screen resolution in rescue myself.  A forum search will indicate that it's not new.  I can't help you with an answer but did find that if I click and drag the title bar in rescue, the scroll bar will be available.  I haven't been in rescue lately but will give it a try and see how it looks.

Windows 10 Home (22H2)  Build 19045.4046 (Desktop)
Windows 11 Home (22H2)  Build 22621.1992  (Laptop)
Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
Sometimes, using WinRE will result in screen resolution issues that can be fixed by switching to WinPE as the base WIM.  And sometimes it's the other way around.

Jerry
Jerry
Thanks, I will try the drag on the title bar.  Never thought of that, but it should work.  I was thinking there might be a setting in the creation of rescue media.  Anyway, was glad my old CD from previous version worked.  Yes I was using PE, but the WinRE should work just as well.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
I didn’t see any mention of WinRE in the initial post. But the WinRE option incorporates customized content that has been added to your system’s WinRE partition. The consequences of that can be positive, neutral, or negative as compared to using a WinPE package straight from Microsoft with no customizations before Reflect gets to it. It varies, like the customizations, from system to system.

But even if you’ve been on WinPE all along, your kernel version changed between the two builds, which is going to matter more than the Reflect version change. Reflect sometimes updates the specific Win10/11 kernel release it uses for its WinPE 10/11 baseline options. Here again, the consequences of moving forward should ideally be positive or at least neutral, but occasionally problems arise.

In terms of what to do about it, Rescue Media Builder doesn’t directly support adding graphics drivers, since they shouldn’t be needed. You could also try WinPE 11 just as another data point. There’s no requirement that your WinPE base match your installed Windows version, and in fact in some scenarios using the newest available release can simplify things, especially for users still on something like Windows 7.
Edited 6 November 2023 9:55 PM by jphughan
Jerry
Jerry
I will have to look better to see if I have an option for PE11?  Noticed that Macrium had an one final update for free version V8.0.7690 and did another Rescue Media and it was same problem.  Could tell it would be on boot as there are random horizontal lines all across the blank dark screen.  However found I could drag from top title bar as mention above. Did a test for restoring one file and worked well.  Also I just checked there is an option for PE11 (WADK).  

Thanks everyone for help.

Jerry

JL Arranz
JL Arranz
Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)
Practical summary: besides the "Other Tasks -> Change Sreen Resolution" option in the Rescue Media itself, there's an "Advanced -> Options -> Enable legacy EFI screen support, select if experiencing low resolution in PE" in the Rescue Media builder (in full Windows, as RM building option).

----------------------------------

Idk if it's just coincidence but I've got 3 desktops with discrete gfx cards (2 win7 + 1 win10) that get at least 1600x1200, that is enough, and frequently the native 1920x1200, although frequently you have to select Other Tasks -> Change Screen Resolution (that has several typical resolutions up to 1920x1200 or 1600x1200) ("frequently" means in terms of system+settings, same system + same MR version + same winPE/RE always has the same behaviour as far as I've noticed). All these systems are ancient and boot in BIOS mode, the win10 has UEFI capability but it's in CSM. All have the Rescue Media as rewritable CD.

But my miniPC with a Celeron J4125 that has embedded gfx, Windows 11, and UEFI, has only one option: 800x600, with either PE or RE and as far as I can recall with any MR version. This system has always used RE although I've also done a PE lately (I tried all possible options one by one, one or two weeks ago). The Rescue Media is in an USB flash drive in this case.

All four Rescue Media builders have an option "Advanced -> Options -> Enable legacy EFI screen support, select if experiencing low resolution in PE". This option is disabled by default. I haven't bothered about it in the desktops as I don't need it there. In the latter system, with winPE (11) or RE (11 too) it does 4 possible rescue medias, but all were fixed at 800x600.

Jerry
Jerry
Thanks, after all these years I never noticed that option.  Will give it a try next time I pull out the laptop.  Never had to use it before and all was well, but something must have changed. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search