Intra-Daily schedule every 5 minutes (or X minutes)

Author
Gabrielius
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Macrium Team,

I was wondering, if it was possible to have a feature to schedule a job using Intra-Daily Schedule every 5 minutes, instead of 15 minutes (the current minimum)? Or even better, have 1 minute as a minimum. Why put a 15-minute limitation on the application and instead give more freedom to the user and give him more responsibilities?

I work with data placed in a separate drive (5 GB size) that changes frequently, and I need to backup it more frequently than every 15 minutes.

Thank you,
Gabrielius

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Depending on the system, creating a VSS snapshot can take about a minute all on its own. And if you aren’t using CBT, the “Looking for changes” phase can take time as well. I could easily see scenarios where a backup every minute would be impossible because there would be more than a minute worth of “overhead”, and that’s without budgeting any time for actually creating the backup. Even 5 minutes could be unsustainable on some systems.

If you need backups at that frequency, it sounds like you’d want a “continuous data protection” solution, but the only ones I’ve worked with are meant for enterprises operating at relatively large scales.
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
IMHO... if FILE backup is needed at intervals smaller than 15-min, an imaging System should not be the tool to use.  The 1-min suggestion just doesn't make any sense.  The process for any imaging backup includes FileSystem checks, Volume Shadow Copy set and respond, the image itself, then a verification of that image.  That whole process may take over a minute in many cases... and your System would be locked up in a VSS System lock for an inordinate amount of time, causing real issues if other apps need to invoke VSS snapshots as well.  That to me seems to be a recipe for real problems.

If you have File content changes to backup in that time frame, I would use a file replication application that operates in what's called "real time mode," meaning any time a file changes, it's backed up accordingly.  There are many of these apps available... and provide for a much better solution for file content changes.

Edited 4 November 2023 6:09 PM by Froggie
Gabrielius
Gabrielius
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
@Froggie and @jphughan, thank you for your input.

I am not an expert in disk imaging technology and was purely looking for a feature that would work for me as a simple user. I don't need 1-minute backups per se, more like 5-minute or 10-minute backups/images, and was entertaining the idea of just having such an option. I understand Macrium may not be the best tool to use, but I also don't want to install myriad tools for each and every case. Having this one tool would be so comfortable.

Currently, according to Macrium logs, my 5GB disk incremental image (using an Intra-Daily schedule) is created in 2-3 seconds. The whole job runs about 15-17 seconds. So I believe, this could be done technically.

Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
If you could explain your need for such frequent backups, possibly someone could suggest a viable option for you (other than Reflect). Since your backups are fast, it seems like there are not many changes in your system between backups, so what situation are you trying to protect against? 
Gabrielius
Gabrielius
With a little bit of persistence and hacking, I managed to schedule Macrium backup tasks every 5 minutes. Thank you for being so responsive and supportive Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search