Order of scheduled backups

Author
kochr
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have three backups wich are scheduled daily. My goal is to set up an order in which they are executed. 
Backup A is my windows partition which I would like to start first. After that backup B which sometimes last very long because of the amount of changed data.
I use the macrium scheduler. Backup A start each day at 9:00, backup B at 10:00 and backup C at 11:00
Most of the times I start my computer in the afternoon where all the startup times are passed.
Now I want to execute Backup A first because after that I can install and update programs.
But it is totally random in which order my backups are starting. Somedays backup B starts first, somedays backup C. 
Does anyone know what I can do to tell macrium that at least backup A starts first? The order of the rest is not that important to me.
Thank you very much.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
As far as I know, there is no way to control the order in which queued backups are executed, but don't necessarily quote me on that.  I've wondered what the criteria is for execution, actually.  What determines what gets executed next.

You could keep the PC on all the time.  The schedules are set so that, if Backup A takes under an hour, then Backup B will start before C is queued.

Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
There's a new feature in v8.1 -- the ability to queue jobs manually and to shuffle the order of tasks in the queue.
The basic component is a new tab in the Create Backups main tab: Task Status

How does this apply?  If you didn't boot the system for the scheduled tasks to run at their scheduled times, then know you can go to the definition files tab and select a job you want to run, then Run Now and select the Run in the Background opion.   Do the jobs in the order that you want to run, and if you change your mind, you can move a job up or down as needed.

The documention for this is in the V8.1 part of the  Knowledge Base, but it will take some paging down on your part to get to the discussion about Running tasks in the background, and more about the Task Status queue. 

Doing it this way is probably not compatible with the advanced option of the BDF that says

I don't have a lot of experience with this feature that seems like it's tailor-made for your situation, but it might take some experimentation to get it precisely correct.   For examplle, I don't know if tasks that have missed their start time and are rerun by the "Run task as soon as possible" setting will show up already in the queue shown in the Task Status tab.  If so, it seems you could alter their order there, but maybe one of them would already be started.  You COULD cancel it, and restart it in the queue if that's what you need.   Or you could eliminate the "Run task as soon as possible" and leave it up to you to start/queue them in the proper order when you know the schedule was missed.  One option would be to deliberately miss the start of the A job, then see what the queue looks like when you boot the computer.  Are the B and C jobs still able to run on their original schedules? What about if you miss all 3 scheduled starts?  What's in the queue then, if anything? Or do they have to be manually "Run Now in Background" to get in the queue?    Another thing to consider:  does this work with the Windows Task Scheduler?  Or the Macrium Task Scheduler?  Is there any difference?  One cautionary note, though:  The queue jobs must be started to Run Now in the background because if not you won't get a chance to look at the queue after starting a job because the main thread of Reflect will be running the first job. 

Let us know how you get along with this new possibility.

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

kochr
kochr
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thanks for the detailed answer.

I have just started a backup in the background. It was added to the list and was executed immediately. Then I started a second backup in the background and it was added to the list. Of course I couldn't change the order because the first backup was already running. Now that both backups are done, the list is empty again. I'll have a look at the list tomorrow after I've switched on the computer. Let's see if anything shows up in the list and if I can influence anything else. 

But I don't think it will be a solution for me because it requires manual intervention on my part. I just want to turn on my computer, then the system partition should be backed up and then all the others (I don't care about their order). But this doesn't seem to work that easily. I would have hoped that Macrium Reflect could be set so that of all missed backups, the one that was scheduled first would be started first. Then I could determine teh order via the start time.

Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
The solution, then, might to be put your computer to sleep rather than powering it off.  And set the option to wake the computer to run the backup. And you can add a wish list item, and maybe the good fairy will grant your wish. 

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search