"USB Flash Drive" detected as "USB Hard Drive" and cannot be made into Rescue Media

"USB Flash Drive" detected as "USB Hard Drive" and cannot be made into...
Author
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've got a 512 GB Lexar USB thumb flash drive that Rescue Media Builder detects as a "USB Hard Drive" but names the device "Lexar USB Flash Drive."  Rescue Media Builder is calling this both a hard drive and a flash drive.  The bottom line is Rescue Media Builder will not create Rescue Media on it.  When I attempt to, it says the USB device does not contain enough free space and to shrink down the volume.

Would this be the result of a USB thumb drive that is listed as a fixed disk class device?

Thanks!

jimrf97
jimrf97
Talented Member
Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
How I do larger flash drives:

Just example:

select disk 2 // change to your usb
clean
convert gpt
create partition primary size=9216
format quick fs=fat32 label="U1"

make rescue iso, right click iso open with 7zip, manually select all files in list, and copy to the volume just made.

Now format the other large partition as desired and do whatever with it.

I do multiboot usb like:

select disk 2 // change as needed
clean
convert gpt

format quick fs=fat32 label="U1"

format quick fs=fat32 label="U2"

format quick fs=fat32 label="U3"

format quick fs=fat32 label="U4"

format quick fs=fat32 label="U5"

format quick fs=fat32 label="U6"

list vol
exit

Then do the same as above for each vol.  I have reflect, windows 11 rescue, acronis, image for windows, etc on one usb.

No menu, have to label and count down.  I.e., win 11 boot disk is second part, so I choose second vol to boot that.

I am referring to hitting F12, or esc, (whatever for your computer) and go to boot menu.  I haven't had problems with this.

You should get the idea.

I would not trust that one program that says it makes multiboot flash drives because of it's origin, I'll leave that up to you.
But just my opinion it could have hidden malware. 

Edited 3 November 2023 6:28 AM by jimrf97
JL Arranz
JL Arranz
Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I believe the device name (at least the default or first one, if it can be changed what Idk) is established at manufacturing time and Windows and apps just echo it, they do not parse it. For example Windows and MR name this drive as "Lexar JumpDrive", that is its commercial name.

As for the MR behaviour, sounds like the situation has not been specifically coded. Some days ago I tried (with other kind of program and in error) to do a multiboot drive from an USB hard disk with 2 partitions and lots of data in it. The program showed a semi-nonsense error instead of "isn't this one of your most valuable hard drives? Select the thumbdrive instead!". But the important (in this case) is that it didn't go ahead.

jim, does it apply to a "fixed" drive? Maybe in current times this can be changed... PS: "GPT" seems to change it all, I'm mostly used to MBR...

---------------------------------------

This cannot be short and maybe you already know it... Iirc, but this was in quite ancient times, being a fixed disk is/was a requisite for some features... I found it. "Lexar USB format" is a very ancient utility (which I played with a lot of time ago and wrote about it) that among other things can change the RMB (removeable media bit) from removeable to fixed (only in given drives, I didn't succeed with any), with the following advantages (my entire point is that the thumbdrive maker should have done it fixed to get these advantages or others that are current):

- Several partitions.
- Compatibility of NTFS format and drive in "optimize for performance".
- Compatibility of FAT format and write caching.

btw, in thumbdrives with problems or broken I've seen messages like "the media has been removed" and such when the drive is actually plugged, this is because "removeable" refers to floppy drives, optical drives or card readers that can actually have a media inserted or not, unlike thumbdrives, although malfunctioning can generate such "perception" (the latter part has been edited)

Edited 3 November 2023 10:51 PM by JL Arranz
jimrf97
jimrf97
Talented Member
Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
jim, does it apply to a "fixed" drive?

I have done this on flash drive and external usb drives.  On one external I have 7 bootable partitions, all formatted fat32, and the rest of the drive formatted ntfs for storage.

However for a flash drive I don't also use for storage.  By fixed, I have never done this with an internal drive.

And yes it seems that GPT is needed.

Edited 4 November 2023 4:58 AM by jimrf97
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search