Unable to install full image backup Windows 11

Author
Terryc
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Well here goes my dilema..
I have for many years used Macrium free version and decided I had free loaded enough and bought a copy.
I have a backup schedule of incremental once a week and full backup monthly.
After installing my paid for version the first incremental backup failed due to "Unable to read from disk - Error Code 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check)"
I don't think the paid for version gave any problems and it is just a coincidence.

Hmm no big deal I though , did some searching for possible causes checked the disk for bad sectors - nothing found.

I ran CHKDSK /f /r /x and wham killed on reboot it giving BSOD " NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM" error ,still no big deal I thought
I went through the usual methods of trying to repair and after a couple of hours thought I will just install a full backup image on a new disk !

Well what happened next is why I am here !

Current configuration is as follows :-
Windows 11 21H2
O.S. is on a 512GB M.2 NVME SSD Drive C:
Files pictures music is on a SATA III 500 GB SSD Drive E:
UBUNTU is on 512GB M.2 SSD Drive D:  This was installed separately and is not a dual boot system.

The full backup does drives C: and E:

My rescue disk was created with the Free version of Mac8 I hadn't updated it yet and now can't !)

I put in a new M.2 SSD 1TB in, I left the other drives in situ
I used my bootable recovery disk and loaded my last full backup followed the drill to install the image and... no boot. Hmm double check everything and tried again... no boot
I did a quick install of Win11 22H2 just incase there was a hardware issue.. worked fine. Disk wiped afterwards.
Soo I booted into UBUNTU and look at the new SSD it only contained the files from drive E: ?
Went back and checked my image file and sure enough the Windows OS was there as well as my files from E:

I am at a bit of a loss as how to proceed, any insight would be welcom

TC

The sweetest smile hides the sharpest teeth

jimrf97
jimrf97
Talented Member
Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)Talented Member (154 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Restore from the previous incremental, get all up to date, make new rescue media, and start a new full backup is my suggestions.

Terryc
Terryc
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
jimrf97 - 3 November 2023 6:08 AM
Restore from the previous incremental, get all up to date, make new rescue media, and start a new full backup is my suggestions.

There is no OS on the target disk only my personal files. I will try an incremental image but don't hold out too much hope.

Seekforever
Seekforever
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
If the image contains your C drive information then it really sounds like you didn't get the restore setup correctly. I'm not aware of Reflect not doing what it was told such that the partitions don't get restored. I trust that your OS image contains the small partition(s) as well as C for booting.
Terryc
Terryc

This is a screenshot of the full backup image.

I think I am following the correct procedure :
Select the image to restore
Click on restore
The first pop up screen shows source and destination...
Aaaaaaaaaaah crap just noticed that the automatic source disc was wrong I will try again and get back

Terryc
Terryc
I screwed up worked fine

Thanks for the help

Seekforever
Seekforever
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Glad you got it sorted out - always nice to hear of somebody else's screw up Smile!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search