Installing a .mrimg image file

Author
Sutton Mehaffey
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
So, I 'inherited' a project for my elderly father, since he can't figure it out.  He wants to make a complete hdd image of one Dell Laptop to another Dell Laptop.  So, he did make a .mrimg file which is on the removeable hard drive.  At least there is a file on there.  So, with his new laptop, there is nothing of value on the computer at all.  So, to install this image from  the hard drive, do you first have to install MR on the new laptop?  I'm guessing so, but he didn't do that.  Can someone confirm that?

Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Assuming he is no longer going to use the old laptop, you must unregister Reflect from that laptop so you can reregister it on the new laptop.

If you created a rescue media on the old laptop you MAY be able to use that to restore that backup to the new computer.  if that works you will probably need to use the Redeploy feature to get the correct basic drivers installed on the new computer so it will boot.  You will still probably need to install other drivers manually since Redeploy only deals with drivers needed to boot the computer.  

If not, then you will need to install Reflect on the new computer and use it to restore to the backup from the old computer to the new one. You will still need to do the Redeploy and driver installation.

Some software may not work correctly so you should check each program to be sure it still functions.  You may have to do an update to a program.  But that will depend on how different the old and new computers are.

Seekforever
Seekforever
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
If  the old rescue media doesn't work, unless he uses the option modifying the boot so is it can start Reflect from the WIndows HD, he will need to create a rescue media on the new computer so it can be booted up to do the restore since Windows can't be running. And Redeploy may well be required. There are some other things that can come into play such as if the old machine used the old BIOS with MBR drives and the new one is UEFI bios.
If it's a Dell or similar vendor the Windows may not permit activation on the new machine since it will be considered OEM, not retail. However, this is a bit hit and miss these days.
Is the old machine running 32 bit Windows, if so it's s a big mistake to carry it over to a new machine.
I know on some people's machines it can be a lot of work because of the numerous apps and customizations they have but IMO, sometimes the better course of action is to setup the new machine with the user-files and apps. It also, can be a good time to only reload the ones you know you are going to use. Reload the others if and when you come across the need for them.
Edited 1 November 2023 8:55 PM by Seekforever
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
I think what the OP is requesting is if the old image backup of one Dell will restore to another Dell.  The answer depends.  If both Dells are exactly the same hardware and software configuration from the factory, then there's a higher likelihood of restoring one Dell image to another Dell.  If the Dells are different models or different software configurations from the factory, then the likelihood of the restore resulting in a working PC is reduced.

Sutton Mehaffey
Sutton Mehaffey
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
dbminter - 1 November 2023 10:18 PM
I think what the OP is requesting is if the old image backup of one Dell will restore to another Dell.  The answer depends.  If both Dells are exactly the same hardware and software configuration from the factory, then there's a higher likelihood of restoring one Dell image to another Dell.  If the Dells are different models or different software configurations from the factory, then the likelihood of the restore resulting in a working PC is reduced.

So, basically, I'm trying to figure out (never using MR before) if the .mrimg file my father created on a removable hard drive from the old laptop is really usable for what he wants to do.  Which is completely overwrite the new laptop so that it looks and works like the old laptop.  The old laptop is being unreliable and requires rebooting a lot.  And, if the better option is to just bite the bullet and copy all his data over to the new laptop and just reinstall all the software he uses, then that's fine too.  He has been adamant that you can just clone one computer to another, but I've never done that before.  I've always just got a new laptop and reinstalled everything and copied my data over.  I don't think the hard drive is bootable.  And, I thought I saw that it has to be in order for the new laptop to copy the image over.  Seems like a stretch to completely copy over from one laptop to another an 'exact' image with no problems, but I'll let you experts tell me how to proceed.  Thanks in advance.

Sutton

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
See the other thread you started.  (I think it's yours.)  I put in a more detailed reply, so best not to double up and have to keep track of 2 different threads.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search