Any options for setting retries for network access?

Author
Gregory Skyles
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have an image backup that keeps dying some 2.5 hours and 25GB into the process, with the log showing "Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - The network path was not found."
Apparently the path was found for the preceeding 2.5 hours, and of course any time I look at it, I can find the path just fine. So it appears to just be some transient network issue.
The path in this case is to an SMB share on an Unraid NAS box on my local network. The logs on that server don't show any network issues of course. I can see a 0 byte file called "backup_running" and a 25GB file like {UUID}-00-00.mrimg.tmp
Are there any options to tell Reflect to re-attempt said write operation, perhaps after some delay, when writing to a network path? I'm running v8.1.7675 on 
Edition    Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2 OS build    22621.2428 Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22674.1000.0

Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
95% of the time I've seen this exact error while accessing a repository system (not a NAS) it is the result of a nasty change forced on HP business laptops two of the image source systems called Modern Standby or Connected Standby if networking is involved. And I've heard that some Dell systems are also susceptible. The concept, by Microsoft, is supposed to make your laptop power on as fast as your cell phone.

There is a quick diagnostic to detect if it's involved. From an elevated command prompt: powercfg /a. -- if a state S0 Idle shows up and sleep states S1-S3 are not supported, then Connected Standby probably decided you'd been using the network too long when it wanted to suspend. 

I've been able to thwart most of the changes, but HP changed the BIOS and prevents down-rev firmware installs. What REALLY chaps me is that the changes were made by updates after two of the systems were purchased and evaluated without them.

If your systems have the customary/legacy sleep states, then forget this post.

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

Edited 30 October 2023 1:37 PM by Dan Danz
Gregory Skyles
Gregory Skyles
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Oh dear, that looks exactly like my configuration-
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.
The hypervisor does not support this standby state.

I have a Dell XPS 9320. Maybe I will try configuring the system to never sleep, and see if that helps. Any other ideas you have around this are welcome.
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
I had heard that Dell (unlike HP) allowed you to reconfigure out of Modern/Connected standby, but have no details. Maybe Google can find something that will help you.  There was a time while the change was being made by HP when there was one master switch in the power-related registry area that enabled/disabled all of the nonsense, but that too disappeared when HP decided to not allow a down-rev of the BIOS firmware.  

I partially solved my problems with some registry hacks that I got off of various web sites, and also by moving the backups of the two systems to 05:00 so that we usually fire up both of the systems by 07:00 and thus avoid the time that Connected Standby disconnects.   Still a major pain.  

My S0 state matches yours ---
The following sleep states are available on this system:
  Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
  Hibernate
  Fast Startup

Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Expert
Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)
There's another possible cause of this problem on Dell laptops (and maybe other Dell computers), unrelated to S0 sleep. Uninstall a program called SmartByte.

Dell provides a 3rd party bloatware program called SmartByte on some computers.  It supposedly provides network optimization for browsing and streaming.  In practice it kills Reflect image backups (and other processes sending many very large blocks of data with with very little delay between the blocks).  I have no idea what it actually does, but my wife's Dell Inspiron 17 3793 would briefly loose network connectivity during an image backup - sometimes immediately, sometimes after 15 minutes.  (File & Folder backups would run without problem.)  After months f getting nowhere with Dell support I found a web posting reporting a similar problem (not involving Marium Reflect), and it mentioned uninstalling SmartByte.  I tried it and it worked - no problems for 11 months.

Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Patrick O'Keefe - 30 October 2023 8:48 PM
There's another possible cause of this problem on Dell laptops (and maybe other Dell computers), unrelated to S0 sleep. Uninstall a program called SmartByte.

Dell provides a 3rd party bloatware program called SmartByte on some computers.  It supposedly provides network optimization for browsing and streaming.  In practice it kills Reflect image backups (and other processes sending many very large blocks of data with with very little delay between the blocks).  I have no idea what it actually does, but my wife's Dell Inspiron 17 3793 would briefly loose network connectivity during an image backup - sometimes immediately, sometimes after 15 minutes.  (File & Folder backups would run without problem.)  After months f getting nowhere with Dell support I found a web posting reporting a similar problem (not involving Marium Reflect), and it mentioned uninstalling SmartByte.  I tried it and it worked - no problems for 11 months.

Wow,  Thanks @pokeefe.  I found this document on a Dell community site with a warning about this program.  It's not MY blue screen problems; my systems are HP laptops, and I don't find this program on them.   But it might help @gssdu.

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Expert
Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)Expert (876 reputation)
Dan Danz - 30 October 2023 11:33 PM
I found this document on a Dell community site with a warning about this program.
Yes, I had found several article about SmartByte once I knew to look for them, but most (such as the one you found) warned about bad performance.  It takes a special set of circumstances for SmartByte to cause the network connection to fail (at least for a wireless connection).  Unfortunately, Reflect image backups provide just those circumstances.  Robocopy of a large file containing a single record will also provoke the failure.  (I tested with a 25GB Veracrypt container.)  Even though Dell has had several reports of problems caused by SmartByte,  Dell support did not mention it once in several months of interactions.

Gregory Skyles
Gregory Skyles
Interesting. My system doesn't have SmartByte installed, but there was something called Killer Control Center which purports to "review and manage the system networking performance." It sounds a bit like what SmartByte is supposed to do, so I've removed it and will try another backup. I did remove most of the Dell bloatware when I first got the laptop, but left this until I could look into what it was.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
I have had Killer Control Center on several Dell PC's that did not interfere with Reflect's backups, but my backups were not to network storage.  I, too, though, remove the Killer Control Center from my PC's to remove it from the bloatware Dell preloads.  Mostly because it interferes or simply doesn't work.  Hence why I remove everything that says Dell in Add/Remove Programs.  All Dell programs simply either interfere or are bloatware.

Gregory Skyles
Gregory Skyles
Well, even with Killer removed, the backup died for network path not found. So I'm going to investigate the other angle and try adjusting the power settings to see it that helps.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search