Unknown password to enter UEFI setup

Author
M D
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, I was wondering whether there was any way that Macrium Reflect8 could help resolving the issue of a forgotten password that prevents access to the UEFI setup menu of my Lenovo Ideapad 5-14ALC05 laptop. The simplest procedure I could think of, i.e., cloning the laptop, resetting it to factory settings and then performing a full restore apparently does not work because not even restoring to factory settings gets rid of that pesky password that I do not even recall having ever set.
The reason for asking this question here relies on the slim hope that Macrium Reflect's ability to fix problems with UEFI booting might be a manifestation of a general ability to modify the UEFI setup going around the password requirement, ideally even allowing to remove a set password and free the access.
A screenshot of the section of the laptop manual describing this password (called Administrator password) is attached for reference
Thank you  

MD
Edited 29 October 2023 2:17 PM by M D
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Reflect can’t do that, unfortunately. But if you haven’t already tried contacting Lenovo Support, I’d suggest that. I know from personal experience in the IT world that Dell has a way to recover forgotten BIOS passwords. They essentially require you to prove legitimate ownership of the system and then they give you a backdoor password.
M D
M D
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
jphughan - 29 October 2023 2:39 PM
Reflect can’t do that, unfortunately. But if you haven’t already tried contacting Lenovo Support, I’d suggest that. I know from personal experience in the IT world that Dell has a way to recover forgotten BIOS passwords. They essentially require you to prove legitimate ownership of the system and then they give you a backdoor password.

Thank you for your answer, which confirms what I assumed. I was waiting to see if there was any way around it before contacting Lenovo support because from what is written in the snapshot of the manual that I posted above, and confirmed by the few reports that I found online, the only thing they can do (are maybe they are willing to do) is replacing the "system board" (which I assume to mean the motherboard). I am not sure that's worth. The current status is not too bad as, if necessary, the boot order can be temporarily modified without accessing the setup. It just doesn't allow me to create a Windows 11-Ubuntu dual boot, forcing me to implement Ubuntu in a virtual machine, which always ends up being more problematic.
Thank you

MD
Edited 30 October 2023 4:29 AM by M D
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
Interestingly enough, I recently encountered a similar situation.  A few months ago, a friend of mine, his son was murdered.  He tried to get access to the files on his son's laptop, but he had protected the Dell laptop with a boot password.  He has some computer experience as he sold me my first x86 PC in 1992, but he brought the laptop to me to see what I could do since I have more expertise.  I didn't see much I could do and there wasn't.  I said Dell would most likely replace the motherboard to rectify the issue.  He contacted Dell and they said if he could provide proof of his son's death and his relation to him, they could fix the problem, but would have to replace the mobo.  I had thought Dell might have had a backdoor to get into systems, but maybe they don't.  It kind of defeats the purpose for user passwords, I suppose, if Dell can just sneak in through a backdoor.  If Dell could do it, if those passwords/methods ever leaked...

Edited 7 December 2023 6:30 PM by dbminter
Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (203 reputation)Proficient Member (203 reputation)Proficient Member (203 reputation)Proficient Member (203 reputation)Proficient Member (203 reputation)Proficient Member (203 reputation)Proficient Member (203 reputation)Proficient Member (203 reputation)Proficient Member (203 reputation)Proficient Member (203 reputation)
Have you checked online to see if there’s a workaround? I know of one but not sure if it is acceptable to post it here.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search