Unable to Download Windows PE, required as Win RE Blue Screens

Author
Ken
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My problem starts as per another thread in this section.

Windows 10 fully patched, Macrium V8.1.7675. licensed.

On two Asus laptops I create Rescue Media using Windows RE. On both machines when I boot rescue media, from USB thumb drive, I get a Blue Screen. Boot menu not tested and even if it worked I need USB for drive failure. 

On one machine I was able to follow the workaround listed in the other thread, that is use Windows PE. Rescue media create and tested successfully.

On second machine I can't download Windows 10 PE or Windows 11 PE using Macrium's prompts. The downloads start and stalls, starts up again and eventually times out. The message saying Macrium needs to download the Windows PE components reappears. The loop is endless. This laptop is wired to router and there is plenty of download speed.

On another machine I was able to use the Reflect Download agent to download only the Win 10 PE zip file. ( saw this in another thread.) 

I was hoping someone could tell me how to use this file in the rescue media creation process. In the other Blue Screen thread it was suggest I store the zip file in the same folder as the installer and then rerun the install. I can do but was hoping someone could point me to where this is. I looked on my machine and I don't see an installer, maybe it was in downloads and I deleted.

I would be even happier if someone knew how to fix the Rescue Media creation process using Windows RE so it doesn't boot to blue screen.

I should add the AV on system is Windows Defender.

Thank you in advance.

Edited 28 October 2023 6:42 PM by Ken
JL Arranz
JL Arranz
Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)
If you don't have an installer, you can download it too with the download agent.

The Windows RE issue, that was the subject of the other thread, is tricky because what fixes one system (normally a Windows update) doesn't fix other systems. The causes can be different too among systems.

Windows does a lot of sums to planify updates (*). For instance yesterday my Windows 10 offered me two updates, one was pending of reboot but I clicked to install the other what took about one hour of sums with my FX8350 at 75-85ºC and the fans at fullest speed. Maybe these updates have fixed my WinRE rescue media blue screen or not, but I'm fine with my WinPE media.

(*) this started in Windows Vista and 7 from June 2016 on when they started to take hours or days to update with one processor core at full use, when before it was minutes and seemingly relaxed on the processor, although there was a solution: install some given updates manually first, those related to win32k.sys (some webs were giving the KB numbers), then install the rest, which did install fast after the first "critical batch" was already in. Afterwards the monthly "rollups" came, a first version of the current system.

But, if I had to GUESS, current updates have to be heavily calculated and end up different in each system, hence the different behaviour.

Ken
Ken
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)
Thank you for the response. 

The person I was helping tried, without me, to download PE again. This time it downloaded everything with only one short stall. With the completed download Macrium proceeded to created USB Boot media. He did this Saturday evening.

We tried the PE based media today and the media boots successfully.

Since we have a ticket open with support he is going to report back to Macrium that PE works on both systems. He told me that he already reported the issues he was having with the download as part of this ticket yesterday. 

Since it worked, and as it is his wife machine, there was no desire to continue testing the creation of media with RE. ( we've already spent hours fiddling)

I suggested that he ask Macrium what they plan on doing regarding the error in creating media with RE. I told him we may have to collect data for them to resolve the issue or they may just report back they know what the issue is and will have fix in a future release.

Windows is up to date and the Optional Updates were installed. I explained we don't test for MS so leave those patches alone. SFC /scannow found integrity issues and repaired them.

If Macrium reports back with anything that might be of interest I will post on both threads.

Thank you again for your post(s). Great to have such a knowledgeable forum.
Ken
Ken
Advanced Member
So Macrium responded to the formal ticket and as Dan outlined, in other thread, and JL in this thread, they say it was a bad patch that cause the RE environment to become corrupt. They were not as specific as Dan as to which patch caused issue.

The issue I reported is with Window 10 machines.

The person I was helping did install the October preview, I never asked about September's. ( I told the person I was helping to stop installing previews.)

As this is a Windows issue, Macrium is not working on any fixes as there is nothing wrong with Macrium.

They advised that MS has been made aware but had no details as to when or how MS may resolve.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search