windows 11 / bitlocker

Author
Frank Esposito
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I never had the need to use BitLocker so I just read that it is enable by default on win 11 pro and it can slow down an SSD by 40%+

It was not clear to me how a BitLocker encrypted drive works with reflect. In some of the recent posts that I read noted that during a backup, reflect opens the (encrypted) drive by the time the data is delivered to reflect, it been decrypted.

I found some older posts from 2018 that noted some issues about restoring these types of backups.

Where can I find info that is germane to how the current version of reflect handle encrypted drives when they need to be restored                 

Thanks

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
Did you read that article on PCWorld.com?  Smile  I just saw the same thing about 2 hours ago.

Anyway, as to anything germane on restoring Bitlocker encrypted drives, I've never used it before, but I have read posts here that you may need to include some kind of unlock key on the Rescue Media to automatically unlock Bitlocker encrypted partitions.  Or open a Command Prompt and manually unlock them with entering the key into a specific command line utility.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
That’s a pretty broad question, so I’d suggest reading this KB article dedicated to outlining how Reflect works with BitLocker in various scenarios as a starting point: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW80/BitLocker+Restore+Outcomes
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
That PCWorld article — https://www.pcworld.com/article/2113846/windows-11-feature-slows-down-ssds-by-up-to-45-percent-what-you-can-do-about-it.html — is a bit misleading claiming that Windows 11 Home is unaffected since BitLocker isn’t available there. The full BitLocker feature set isn’t available, but it does have “device encryption” that uses BitLocker under the hood for the system’s internal storage.

This also isn’t even new for Windows 11. Windows 10, even in Home form, has shipped from some OEMs with BitLocker enabled out of the box. It starts in suspended mode, but if the user links their Windows login to their MS account — which is now required for the Home version of Win11 — then the Recovery Key gets backed up to that account and BitLocker is fully enabled.
Edited 23 October 2023 9:45 PM by jphughan
Danskeman
Danskeman
Expert
Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)
Well I just tested my pc with the passmark benching tool with and without my C drive (nvme drives) bitlocked.

Frankly the results are virtually identical and well within the variance you get running test on a device multiple times.

Frankly, I think recent article that spawned all this palaver is rather disingenuous and like all such claims, they do not reflect real life,

I have never noticed any performance drop using bitlocker.

In the end, try running pc bitlocked or not bitlocked yourself and see if you notice any serious performance change

Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
It really depends on the speed of the target drive involved AND the CPU capability... it will vary everywhere to some degree.

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
What I found interesting was how it seems to only affect SSD's.  Although not expressly stated, it seems HDD's are not affected.

Danskeman
Danskeman
Expert
Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)Expert (750 reputation)
Froggie - 23 October 2023 11:51 PM
It really depends on the speed of the target drive involved AND the CPU capability... it will vary everywhere to some degree.

Sure, but I bet the real world impact is a lot less than the artificial tests imply.

Like all such senstational articles, you never really get enough information e.g. how is trimming taken into account, what is the repeatabilty etc.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
DB, modern SSDs are around 40x faster than HDDs, so they have a lot more performance to lose, so to speak. Even if the encryption overhead penalty meant that the PC could only sustain 50% of an SSD’s performance, that would still be 20x faster than an HDD would be able to handle. The question is always where the bottleneck is located.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search