Scheduled Backup Failures after Successful Restore

Author
wdi
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I performed a complete restore a few days ago that appears to have been successful except that now I get an 0X02 error for every new backup attempt. I've searched to knowledge base and the forums and can only come up with that it might have something to do with not being able to find xml files, though I do not understand what I need to do to resolve this; nor am I even sure that this is really the problem. Only know that it was working great until I performed a restore and have traded one problem for another.  And if it's relevant, I'm backing up to an external USB drive, and always have been.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Are log files being generated under the Logs tab for the failed jobs? If so, what do they say? That will provide much more information than an exit code.

If the scheduled task is failing in such a way that the job doesn’t even start and therefore there are no job logs, I would suggest going to the Scheduled Backups tab and deleting the problematic schedules, then going to the Definition Files tab, right-clicking the relevant definition file(s), and clicking Schedule to set them up again. That’s normally not necessary after a restore, but if there isn’t any other troubleshooting info available, it would be my first attempt at resolution.
wdi
wdi
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Yes, thanks. The log states: Backup aborted! - XML validation error
wdi
wdi
wdi - 23 October 2023 10:24 PM
Yes, thanks. The log states: Backup aborted! - XML validation error

And the Definition Files tab is empty.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Ok, the missing XML file can be fixed by clicking the Add button (“+” icon) and finding the definition file. But a validation error means that something is wrong with the file. In that case, it’s probably easiest to just recreate the definition file by stepping through the wizard again, clicking Finish, and making sure to check the box to save the job you just defined as an XML file. That will automatically cause it to appear under the Definition Files tab. And then delete the scheduled tasks associated with the problem file.
wdi
wdi
jphughan - 23 October 2023 11:28 PM
Ok, the missing XML file can be fixed by clicking the Add button (“+” icon) and finding the definition file. But a validation error means that something is wrong with the file. In that case, it’s probably easiest to just recreate the definition file by stepping through the wizard again, clicking Finish, and making sure to check the box to save the job you just defined as an XML file. That will automatically cause it to appear under the Definition Files tab. And then delete the scheduled tasks associated with the problem file.

Yes, as suggested using the wizard to recreate the definition file and deleting the old scheduled tasks appears to have solved the problem.
Thanks for your help!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search