Drive letter change

Author
Megahertz
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I build my win10xpe based on Win 10 22h2. I did some modifications to it and everything was working very well.
As there are some softwares that are updated, I replace the old version by the new one on the /Programs. Never had a problem.
Today I've got a new Macrium Reflect version (8.1.7675) and I created a rescue iso from it. From the Rescue iso I mounted the boot.wim and extracted the D:\Winprog\Macrium\MacriumRescue.iso\sources\boot.wim\Program Files\macrium\ folder.
This folder I used to update the \Programs\Macrium Reflect on the win10xpe as I have done many times in the past.

This is the weird thing.
I boot the win10xpe from a USB drive and the USB drive is assigned a letter Y:
 I need the drive to be Y: as all the applications on the PE are linked to it.

Then if you launch Macrium Reflect, it changes the win10xpe from Y: to I: and it results that all links are lost.
Never seen a program that changes the drive letter on witch it is installed.

If you change the win10xpe drive letter back to Y: the links works again but the icons remains blank for a while.

Any solution or explanation?

- Update -

I was intrigued because Macrium Reflect, booted from a USB drive, was showing my backups from my backup drive that wasn't connected. So the information came from Macrium Reflect data, stored on my Win 10 drive, where I do have Macrium Reflect installed. Retrieving this data is useless as, if you're launching Macrium Reflect from a USB drive you probably have a problem on the main drive.

I found out that on a computer without Macrium Reflect installed, the drive letter isn't changed.

Edited 18 October 2023 1:53 PM by Megahertz
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It is common for drive letters to change in the Rescue Media environment versus the values they are set when you're booted into Windows.  It's generally a cosmetic thing, however in your use case, you needed the drive letter to remain static.

Someone else may be able to chime in on this, but as far as I know, there's no way to change drive letter assignments in Rescue Media.

Megahertz
Megahertz
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
dbminter - 18 October 2023 3:40 PM
It is common for drive letters to change in the Rescue Media environment versus the values they are set when you're booted into Windows.  It's generally a cosmetic thing, however in your use case, you needed the drive letter to remain static.

Someone else may be able to chime in on this, but as far as I know, there's no way to change drive letter assignments in Rescue Media.

Drive letters are assigned by the OS. The strange is that It doesn't change when  It boots. It changes when I launch Macrium Reflect.
Edited 18 October 2023 3:51 PM by Megahertz
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
Oh, this is in Windows?  I was under the impression when you said win10xpe that this drive letter change was when you booted the Rescue Media.

Megahertz
Megahertz
dbminter - 18 October 2023 3:51 PM
Oh, this is in Windows?  I was under the impression when you said win10xpe that this drive letter change was when you booted the Rescue Media.

win10xpe is an Windows OS. Macrium Rescue drive also use win10xpe. I have created a win10xpe with more than just Macrium Reflect.
https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/182581-win10xpe-build-your-own-rescue-media-2-a.html

Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
When Reflect is embedded Win RE 10 or Win PE 11, the resultant rescue media, however booted, loads the remainder of Rescue Media from the (unlettered) boot source drive to a RAM virtual disk,and this RAM disk is forceibly assigned X: for the remainder of the life of that boot.   The boot code then also assigns C: and D: to their original (non RM) disks. It's possible that his assignment propagates a change to your Y: drive assignment,   What does Y: end up pointing to in the RM area, or even to another disk (in the same way that C: and D: assignements are maintained)

The embedded version of the software (in WinRE and WinPE) operating systems has a GUI (and a command line NET USE <letter> terminal command that allows me to assign/change letters.  Have you tried to use that? Or does your pseudo OS not permit it to work?  I should note that whatever letter is assigned to the boot drive for Rescue Media is immediately available for reassignment as soon as the RM code is copied to X: and X: is made the boot drive. 

In this user forum, you're likely to get replies from those of us who understand how RM operates when embedded in WinPE or WinRe, and not in still yet another rescue/recovery operating system.  Perhaps seeking an answer in the support forum for that software might elicit a better response than this attempt at helping you without any experience with that product.

Edited to add:  In fact, the foreign forum link supplied in your post has your problem with Y: as post #9 and a solution as post #10, both from 2021.

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

Edited 18 October 2023 5:04 PM by Dan Danz
Megahertz
Megahertz
Thanks for your reply
The drive Y isn't un mounting.
I was intrigued because Macrium Reflect, booted from a USB drive, was showing my backups from my backup drive that wasn't connected. So the information came from Macrium Reflect data, stored on my Win 10 drive, where I do have Macrium Reflect installed. Retrieving this data is useless as, if you're launching Macrium Reflect from a USB drive you probably have a problem on the main drive.

I found out that on a computer without Macrium Reflect installed, the drive letter isn't changed.

Edited 18 October 2023 7:22 PM by Megahertz
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
You're telling me what you remember but you have not done any troubleshooting.  Very frustrating!! I told you how Reflect tries to mount Windows drives like C: and D:, and Repository drives where you store your backups, where they can be used to restore data to other drives.  That's just noise in your problem details.  It's understandable.  You have NOT told me anything new?  Stop anecdotal paraphrasing of what you typed and SHOW US the command and result.

You have not answered my question: What does Y: point to?

Have you tried an RM command window command Net use
to show all letters in use. What does it show for Y: ? Please post it here..
Then try net use y: /Delete
and post the result here. 
If you're successful you should then be able to assign Y: to a new path.  If it fails don't tell me it refuses.  SHOW ME what you typed and what reply you get.

And by the way, what did your queries on the other support forum get for answers?

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
I still don't understand the original problem.  It sounded like a WinPE issue, yet the OP insists it's not a PE issue.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
dbminter - 18 October 2023 10:17 PM
I still don't understand the original problem.  It sounded like a WinPE issue, yet the OP insists it's not a PE issue.

Win10XPE is a quasi-full Windows experience built on WinPE. It's very roughly equivalent to Linux Live in that it's designed to be a solution you can boot from removable media but use as a (mostly) full desktop OS.

OP appears to be extracting the Reflect Rescue binaries from Rescue Media to use that version of Reflect within this environment.

Edited 18 October 2023 10:47 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search