USB built with Macrium 8.1 boots to Microsoft Recovery not Macrium

Author
gerrym52
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Using Macrium 8.1.7638 / PE 10 V 1769

I recently built a Macrium recovery USB for an HP 600 Prodesk G4 (UEFI) (Windows 11 Pro)  and it consistently produces a booted machine that comes up in Microsoft Windows Recovery mode, not Macrium.  I pulled the single NVME boot disk out... same results.   I have 3 different Prodesk G4's... they all do the same thing, as does an older G3.      As a test if I use a Macrium 8.1 stick from a Dell M6800, it boots fine into Macrium.   All sticks were built with the enable multi boot UEFI/MBR block checked.

Never seen this in over 10 years of using Macrium.   Any thoughts would be appreciated.     Thanks in advance.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Try formatting the problematic USB flash drives as FAT32 first. Then confirm they’re empty and don’t boot into anything, and then use Rescue Media Builder to set them up as Rescue Media again.
Il Capo
Il Capo
Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)
Using Macrium 8.1.7638 / PE 10 V 1769

May be you can try to use a recent version of Macrium-WinPE for W11?

Regards, Il Capo

Edited 17 October 2023 9:43 AM by Il Capo
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
It's odd for that to happen on WinPE Rescue Media.  I've seen it happen before myself, but the cause was a corrupted WINRETOOLS partition.  Which meant WinRE media would cause that.  However, I don't know if WINRETOOLS has any bearing on WinPE media creation.  I would think, given the partition label, it would be specific to WinRE creation, but may be not.

gerrym52
gerrym52
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Thank you for the comments/suggestions.   The Macrium on the Win11 HP machine was at 8.1.7638  with a PE of Win10 Ver 1769 and did not show any alternate PE version.  So I checked for an update which it found and it went to 8.1.7675 and that had a default PE Win11 Ver 2261.  Built a stick and it boots fine.   Not allowing Macrium to check for updates but every so often.   Got bit... for sure.   Thanks again to all who responded.    -Gerry
gerrym52
gerrym52
dbminter - 17 October 2023 1:56 PM
It's odd for that to happen on WinPE Rescue Media.  I've seen it happen before myself, but the cause was a corrupted WINRETOOLS partition.  Which meant WinRE media would cause that.  However, I don't know if WINRETOOLS has any bearing on WinPE media creation.  I would think, given the partition label, it would be specific to WinRE creation, but may be not.

Thanks!    Good thought.    Dell has a huge presence in my past corporate experience, the WINRETOOLS typically was on all the Dell's we deployed.    If HP has such capability for including in clean loads I've not looked.  These few machines came with non-OE loads.   The HP BIOS diags seem to all run from the BIOS best I can see because they work on my non OE clean loads.   This trek into HP hardware has been very interesting and I have developed a liking for maintaining them.   I am finding the HPs seem to be good solid machines, just like Dells.   Easy to work with/on and fix... if they break.  :-)     And thanks to HP and Dell for keeping their machines on full on OE licenses.   Yep.
Megahertz
Megahertz
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
To boot a USB drive as UEFI it should be formatted as FAT32.
See next post (if you want to make sure it will boot as UEFI, format the drive as Fat32)

All modern computers has a "One time Boot menu" so you can choose a different boot option without changing the boot priority on BIOS.
The one time Boot menu can be launched by a F key. It depends on the computer brand. On Dell and on my Gigabyte MB is F12, on Asus it is F8. In my HP laptop it is F9. Some computers you press ESC or F2 and a sub menu is launched with the option of one time Boot menu.

Insert the USB drive and boot the computer. During POST press F9(?) to launch the boot menu. Select USB UEFI (Name)

Edited 19 October 2023 2:37 PM by Megahertz
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Megahertz - 18 October 2023 2:07 PM
To boot a USB drive as UEFI it MUST be formatted as FAT32.

That isn't entirely true. The UEFI spec mandates boot support for FAT32, but support for NTFS is optional. I have encountered some Dell systems that can boot in UEFI mode directly from NTFS partitions. I believe the Latitude 7480 was one such system. But I grant that they are the exception, not the rule. It is certainly a good practice to set up any device you intend to boot from in UEFI mode as FAT32 for maximum compatibility.

Megahertz
Megahertz
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
jphughan - 18 October 2023 10:43 PM
Megahertz - 18 October 2023 2:07 PM
To boot a USB drive as UEFI it MUST be formatted as FAT32.

That isn't entirely true. The UEFI spec mandates boot support for FAT32, but support for NTFS is optional. I have encountered some Dell systems that can boot in UEFI mode directly from NTFS partitions. I believe the Latitude 7480 was one such system. But I grant that they are the exception, not the rule. It is certainly a good practice to set up any device you intend to boot from in UEFI mode as FAT32 for maximum compatibility.

Yes, you're absolutely right. UEFI systems must boot to a Fat32 partition (to be universal) but BIOS can transfer the boot sequence to another file system partition as NTFS. As you mentioned they are the exception, not the rule.
I should have mentioned that if you want to make sure it will boot as UEFI, format the drive as Fat32

Edited 19 October 2023 12:41 PM by Megahertz
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search