Rescue media file storage location

Author
wmcvey
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Was updating my rescue media USB drive, and was noticing under the advanced options you have something called "Select Volume for Rescue Media File Storage".
So if I'm understanding how this works, if I need to boot my system using this rescue media USB drive I've created. These additional files are needed before gaining access to my imaged data for recovery.
By default MR has pre-selected drive C , which is usually your main drive with your OS . So if I was to have a complete drive failure, would not these required rescue media files be on a drive that has just crashed ?
Would it not make more sense for me to go into advanced options and select a different drive then drive C, maybe even selecting the USB drive letter where I'm creating the USB rescue media ?
Or am I completely misunderstanding the purpose of this option ?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
No you don’t need to store those files somewhere other than C, and you definitely would not want to choose a drive letter for a Rescue Media device you’ve created, or really any device that is not permanently connected.

The files you’re asking about serve two main purposes:

1. They act as a cache of your last Rescue Media build, so if you need to create a new Rescue Media device (such as another flash drive) and the cached build on your system is still current, then Rescue Media Builder will just copy those cached files over. If the build is stale or has been deleted, Rescue Media performs a full WIM rebuild, which takes longer.

2. They enable the boot menu recovery option if you choose to enable that. In that case, yes you are booting into Rescue from files located on (by default) your C partition. However, that is just an optional convenience for non-catastrophic failure conditions. For example, it can be especially handy for people who use Rescue frequently, such as application testers that perform frequent rollbacks, because that option allows you to access Rescue without having to grab your external Rescue Media flash drive. But if you DO have a Rescue Media flash drive, then that is a self-contained entity, meaning it has no dependencies on other files existing anywhere else in order to boot into Rescue. So no, you would not need the files in the file storage path to be available to successfully boot from your Rescue flash drive.
Edited 16 October 2023 2:39 AM by jphughan
wmcvey
wmcvey
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
jphughan - 16 October 2023 2:35 AM
No you don’t need to store those files somewhere other than C, and you definitely would not want to choose a drive letter for a Rescue Media device you’ve created, or really any device that is not permanently connected.

The files you’re asking about serve two main purposes:

1. They act as a cache of your last Rescue Media build, so if you need to create a new Rescue Media device (such as another flash drive) and the cached build on your system is still current, then Rescue Media Builder will just copy those cached files over. If the build is stale or has been deleted, Rescue Media performs a full WIM rebuild, which takes longer.

2. They enable the boot menu recovery option if you choose to enable that. In that case, yes you are booting into Rescue from files located on (by default) your C partition. However, that is just an optional convenience for non-catastrophic failure conditions. For example, it can be especially handy for people who use Rescue frequently, such as application testers that perform frequent rollbacks, because that option allows you to access Rescue without having to grab your external Rescue Media flash drive. But if you DO have a Rescue Media flash drive, then that is a self-contained entity, meaning it has no dependencies on other files existing anywhere else in order to boot into Rescue. So no, you would not need the files in the file storage path to be available to successfully boot from your Rescue flash drive.

Thank you for your quick reply and thorough answer , that all makes sense to me now .
Megahertz
Megahertz
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
On an image rescue you have 3 major players:
- The rescue software. Macrium Reflect allow you to create it under the Windows Recovery environment. I don't recommend . If the main drive fails, you won't be able to launch the Macrium Reflect rescue software. I recommend you use a USB drive or even a data drive (easy to make it).
- The image backup (source) drive. As it is the drive that has the images used to recover, never, ever use the same drive used to generate the images. Again, use an external USB drive or a data drive other than the drive used to generate the images.
- The Target drive.

It is always a good practice to have the OS and data on different partitions or even better, on different drives. If you have issues with the OS partitions you can always retrieve an OS partitions without the need to retrieve the data partition or drive

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search