winPE or winRE compatible with thunderbol 3 ?

Author
isoicon
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can I use a macrium rescue disc with a thunderbolt external SSD?
My (the latest) current winRE disc is of version 2004.
I don't know whether a thunderbolt SSD (3000MB/s) is so interessant for making an image with all those little files on a laptop in comparison with USB 3.2 gen 2 SSD (1000MB/s)

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
I don’t know if any WinPE/RE kernels have support for Thunderbolt. And even beyond driver support, Thunderbolt has security levels that require OS support to use. If you want to test this, I would recommend starting by disabling your Thunderbolt security in your BIOS. Note that I would NOT recommend that you use that configuration permanently, but it would at least allow you to focus on driver support. If you find that your SSD is visible in Rescue with no security but disappears when security is enabled, I’m not sure there’s a solution there. In that case your best option might be to disable security as needed.
isoicon
isoicon
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
isoicon - 12 October 2023 5:44 PM
Can I use a macrium rescue disc with a thunderbolt external SSD?
My (the latest) current winRE disc is of version 2004.
I don't know whether a thunderbolt SSD (3000MB/s) is so interessant for making an image with all those little files on a laptop in comparison with USB 3.2 gen 2 SSD (1000MB/s)

Probably the thunderbolt driver must appear under advanced-> devices and drivers when creating the rescue disc and then winRE macrium rescue disc can acces thunderbolt SSD..
The thunderbolt/usb-C port of my current laptop does not work anymore so I'm not sure there must appaer a thunderbolt driver under "devices and drivers".
And in device management of windows 10 there are only USB drivers
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Rescue Media Builder only looks at drivers for certain device classes, namely storage, network, and USB host controllers. But even if you manually add drivers to your Rescue Media, I don’t know if the WinPE/RE kernel has the necessary OS-level support for Thunderbolt. For example, WinPE/RE doesn’t support Bluetooth, even if you supply drivers for a Bluetooth adapter.

The Thunderbolt controller in Device Manager appears under System Devices, although on some systems it only appears when an actual Thunderbolt peripheral is connected.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search