Redeploy "works" but then computer fails to start with Stop 0x7B (inaccessible boot device)

Author
VeeDub
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I am using Macrium v8.1.7638 recovery environment.
The destination hardware is a Dell Latitude 7440, for which I have access to the WinPE drivers from dell.com
The restore proceeds without issue, so I have the correct storage driver.
Redeploy and fix boot problems proceed without error.
Then the laptop fails to start with Stop 0x7B.
Destination OS is Windows 10 Pro x64.
Am after troubleshooting suggestions.
I also have some desktops that use the same driver, and redeploy works fine with these systems.
I have disabled Dell Secure Boot, although only since the restart has failed.
Thanks
VW

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
The Intel Rapid Storage driver is a bit different. Hardware devices have PCI Device IDs, and driver packages determine whether they are suitable for the hardware based on whether the driver package has a given Device ID in its compatibility list. For some reason, Intel decided to keep the PCI Device ID constant across multiple generations of its Rapid Storage controllers even though different driver packages are required for different generations. The end result is that it is possible for ReDeploy to determine that a given Rapid Storage driver is appropriate for your system even though it may not actually function properly. If you haven’t already, I would go to the Dell Support site, search your Latitude by model (note that the Latitude 7440 and E7440 are completely different systems from different eras…), and then download the Rapid Storage package you find there.
VeeDub
VeeDub
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
jphughan - 8 October 2023 3:02 AM
The Intel Rapid Storage driver is a bit different. Hardware devices have PCI Device IDs, and driver packages determine whether they are suitable for the hardware based on whether the driver package has a given Device ID in its compatibility list. For some reason, Intel decided to keep the PCI Device ID constant across multiple generations of its Rapid Storage controllers even though different driver packages are required for different generations. The end result is that it is possible for ReDeploy to determine that a given Rapid Storage driver is appropriate for your system even though it may not actually function properly. If you haven’t already, I would go to the Dell Support site, search your Latitude by model (note that the Latitude 7440 and E7440 are completely different systems from different eras…), and then download the Rapid Storage package you find there.

Hello jphughan,
Thanks for responding, as I have been unsure as to what to try next.
Noting your comments, I have the following question.
If the storage driver that the Recovery Environment is using, allows the storage device to be accessed and for the Recovery Environment to perform the restore, then surely that storage driver is the 'correct' storage driver for the system?

Dell provide what appears to be a standard WinPE driver package for many of their systems on their site. For instance, the WinPE driver package for the 7440 contains many storage and network drivers (not just for the 7440 but for many other systems as well - and you have to identify the specific driver for your system by trial-and-error).

But once you identify the storage driver that works, then the Recovery Environment can access the storage device.

I would expect that the driver that worked for the restore would also be the same driver to be injected by the redeploy.

Are you suggesting, that this is not necessarily the case?

Thanks
VW 
VeeDub
VeeDub
Hello,
There is a stand-alone Rapid Storage driver for the computer, I will try it out.
Thanks
VeeDub
VeeDub
Hello,
Unfortunately, no change in behaviour.
Recovery Environment can see the storage device, but on restart Stop 0x7B
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Are there both VMD and non-VMD drivers listed? Have you tried both?
VeeDub
VeeDub
jphughan - 8 October 2023 10:57 AM
Are there both VMD and non-VMD drivers listed? Have you tried both?

In the Drivers folder, there is a VMD folder, which contains the driver that I have been using.
There are also two HSA folders, which contain inf files that don't load.
The only driver that loads is the driver in the VMD folder.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, I haven’t worked with systems that offer VMD and non-VMD versions of the driver, but I remember reading about that. You’re also right that if WinRE can see the storage properly, it should have the correct driver to inject during the ReDeploy process — assuming the Windows kernels of WinRE and the Windows environment you’re ReDeploying match, or are at least covered by the same driver release.

One workaround you might try is just going into your BIOS and switching your system from RAID/RST mode over to native AHCI mode, in which case you wouldn’t need that driver at all. If you’re not actually using any of the RST controller’s functionality, then there isn’t even a downside. You might still need to run ReDeploy depending on the configuration of the image you’re restoring onto this system, but if the system is in AHCI mode, then ReDeploy will just configure Windows to load its appropriate native storage class driver based on the interface (SATA or NVMe).
VeeDub
VeeDub
Changing the BIOS config worked.
Thanks!
I would not have thought to try that.
Appreciate your assistance.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login