Using Diskpart on Failed Drive Containing Images

Author
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I recently had a disk failure which stored several Reflect images and File-Folder backups.  Before discarding the disk, I'd like to make sure all traces of data are removed.  I haven't used many of the Diskpart features but am curious if the "Clean" command would accomplish this.

Windows 10 Home (22H2)  Build 19045.4046 (Desktop)
Windows 11 Home (22H2)  Build 22621.1992  (Laptop)
Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

Joe Allen
Joe Allen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi @capair45

While the data is removed from the disk there is still a chance the data can be recovered using 3rd party software from only running diskpart > clean.

Using a 3rd party tool such as DBAN will have a greater chance of making sure the data on the disk is not recoverable from 3rd party software. 

There is always the physical option of smashing the disk and destroying the internals Smile

Kind Regards

Joe A

Macrium Support Team

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
Thank you @JoeA!

Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

secretsquirrel
secretsquirrel
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
capair45 - 28 September 2023 2:46 PM
I recently had a disk failure which stored several Reflect images and File-Folder backups.  Before discarding the disk, I'd like to make sure all traces of data are removed.  I haven't used many of the Diskpart features but am curious if the "Clean" command would accomplish this.

use diskpart /clean all
see:
MS page
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
To be absolutely sure you can't recover the data, I'd first use Eraser to wipe all the data.  Then, I'd use a 3rd party partitioning tool to wipe the partition.  While this will take an awful lot of time, on the order of days depending on the size of the drive and how securely you wipe it, it would better increase the likelihood of unrecoverable data.  Of course, even the best methods have a chance of being recovered by forensic experts.

capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
dbminter - 28 September 2023 7:31 PM
To be absolutely sure you can't recover the data, I'd first use Eraser to wipe all the data.  Then, I'd use a 3rd party partitioning tool to wipe the partition.  While this will take an awful lot of time, on the order of days depending on the size of the drive and how securely you wipe it, it would better increase the likelihood of unrecoverable data.  Of course, even the best methods have a chance of being recovered by forensic experts.

In the end, I used Diskpart's "clean" command along with your suggestion of Eraser (nice little utility).  I'm happy with the results. 

Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search