Retention Rules Not Protecting Older Backups...

Author
RollingConduit
New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I am having an issue with the retention rules.

The Problem: Macrium is deleting all my previous backups, not just the oldest one, even though there seems to be enough space.
My Goal: Keep as many backups as possible

I am trying to make a backup once a week. A backup is about 2.5 TB, though they are getting bigger each week. Currently I have one backup and about 4.45TB of free space. I have the Retention Rules set to:

3 Full backups
Run the purge before backup
Purge the oldest backup set(s) if less than 2400 GB on the target volume

If I let it run it will delete that existing backup even though it seems like it should stay. I just want to keep as many backups as I can. I probably have something simple set wrong. It worked on my old PC (different drives), but my new PC is having this issue. Any advice?

Thanks!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Posting the log of the job where the backups were unexpectedly deleted would be helpful, but understand that the currently running backup is counted for retention policy purposes. So in your scenario where you have “Run purge before backup” enabled, if you already have 3 Fulls, then Reflect will delete an existing Full at the beginning of a job that would create a new Full.

If that doesn’t account for what you’re seeing, then once again please copy/paste the job log into a post here, taking care to omit your Reflect license key that appears at the bottom of the log.

Lastly, if you’re only making Full backups and your goal is to keep as many backups as possible, then you should simply disable the Full retention policy by unchecking the box. In that case Reflect will only purge older Fulls when needed to free up space per your setting there. And in fact even there, you can also drop that free space threshold purge far lower, because Reflect will perform purges for that purpose mid-job if that’s when you drop below the defined threshold. You don’t have to use that to make sure there’s enough free space at the beginning of a job.
Edited 20 September 2023 11:15 AM by jphughan
RollingConduit
RollingConduit
New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)
OK, that was very helpful, and I was suspecting something like that was the answer.

So I unchecked the "Run the purge before backup" box. Then I left the "Purge the oldest backup set(s) if less than..." still checked, but set it to only 10 GB. Would this be correct?

And what would be a recommended minimum amount of space that I should set this for to ensure healthy, fast-as-possible backups? The backups are on a dedicated 6.78 TB partition on a SATA3 8 TB HDD. My other drives are much faster M.2 drives.

Thanks so much to your amazing long term commitment to users, jphughan!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Happy to help, and thanks for the kind words. Smile

In terms of minimum free space, I remember the typical IT wisdom being to keep at least 15% free, ideally 20%. But that was back when 1 TB drives were just arriving on the market. Nowadays that would arguably be wasteful unless maybe you had a lot of churn in your data set, but that’s not typically the case with backups.

If it were me, I would probably try to keep 50 GB worth of free space, but I readily admit that that is just my seat of the pants guidance, with no specific technical basis.
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
RollingConduit - 20 September 2023 1:49 PM
And what would be a recommended minimum amount of space that I should set this for to ensure healthy, fast-as-possible backups? The backups are on a dedicated 6.78 TB partition on a SATA3 8 TB HDD. My other drives are much faster M.2 drives.

If you set up purge to take the time to get the space at the beginning of the backup, or let Reflect do it in the middle when it detects it's about to run out of space, is that really a choice that needs to be debated?  I think it has the same effect on the length of the backup.  In addition, Reflect will only take what it needs for the current backup, while setting the purge amount involves a guesstimate or SWAG. 

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The purge isn’t an amount to purge. It’s a minimum free space to maintain.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search