Modify Reflect Log to Hide Serial Number

Author
Seekforever
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Over the years there have been numerous posts where posters have been told they should hide their Reflect serial number when posting the log. I'm not sure just how serious this is but it seems like a good idea on a forum with public access.
Is it really necessary to post the user's serial number in the log and if it is, does the whole thing need to be displayed? Credit card companies manage to get by with a bunch of asterisks and the last 3 or 4 digits. If for any reason the Reflect support staff need the whole number I'm sure they can find it in their database with the last few digits and the username of the poster.
I realize this is more in the category of an annoyance than a wholesale improvement on the product but it can be good to eliminate annoyances.
capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
Seekforever - 11 September 2023 2:55 PM
Over the years there have been numerous posts where posters have been told they should hide their Reflect serial number when posting the log. I'm not sure just how serious this is but it seems like a good idea on a forum with public access.
Is it really necessary to post the user's serial number in the log and if it is, does the whole thing need to be displayed? Credit card companies manage to get by with a bunch of asterisks and the last 3 or 4 digits. If for any reason the Reflect support staff need the whole number I'm sure they can find it in their database with the last few digits and the username of the poster.
I realize this is more in the category of an annoyance than a wholesale improvement on the product but it can be good to eliminate annoyances.

I agree and I think this has been brought up before.  As memory serves, a Macrium representative responded once saying having the license number in the log was helpful to them when trouble shooting issues.  Still, it would be nice if they could find another way to capture that information.

Windows 10 Home (22H2)  Build 19045.4046 (Desktop)
Windows 11 Home (22H2)  Build 22621.1992  (Laptop)
Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)
In the past, Macrium made the change to automatically remove the license key when you export the backup log file.

The oldest export log file I have is from a old support ticket when the license key is automatically removed was in 8.0.6867 version. I do not know the exact version of when Macrium added this enhancement to automatically remove the license key when you export the backup log file.
Joe Allen
Joe Allen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)
Group: Administrators
We use the license key in the log file to identify which version of the software the user is running. 

I will raise this with the team and pass any comments onto the developers

Kind Regards

Joe A

Macrium Support Team

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Seekforever
Seekforever
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Thanks, @JoeA  I appreciate that.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
Maybe just a line in the log that says the version # directly could replace a line that says the version # and the license key like it currently does.

JK
JK
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)
Joe Allen - 11 September 2023 4:28 PM
We use the license key in the log file to identify which version of the software the user is running. 

Every support case starts with a request for the user to run the "Support Submission Wizard", which basically scrapes the user's device for any and all information that could possibly be relevant to the case, and uploads said information to directly to the Macrium Help Portal.  Surely the ZIP file uploaded by the "Support Submission Wizard" already includes the user's license key and the Reflect software version number?

Wild Willy Kredentser
Wild Willy Kredentser
Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)
Let me join the chorus.  I posted something & didn't even think to look at whether it included my license number.  I got rebuked for it (that's harsh, the other poster just pointed it out to me), & I had to edit the image & repost it.  It's a pain in the butt to have to remember to do this all the time.  The version number is one thing, totally harmless, no problem showing that in public.  But the license number should be better protected by the software.  I certainly don't need to see my own license number echoed all over the place.  I know where to go look for it should I have to quote it for some reason.  It should not be incessantly displayed in places where the user wouldn't think to even look.  You know, like fine print.  Nobody reads fine print.  Nobody thinks their license number will be exposed in public by the very software that encourages you to jealously keep it secret.  Let's allow some rationality to prevail.

Besides, you don't need my license number in order to correct a bug.  My version number is important.  My license number is irrelevant.

And don't even try to tell me about how my license number is related to whether I'm entitled to support.  When I report a bug, I'm doing you a favor.  I'm not asking you to do anything special for me.  I'm asking you to do something routine (NOT special) for the entire user community (NOT just me).  So no, you absolutely DO NOT need to know my license number when I report a bug.  Reporting a bug is NOT asking for support.  It's reporting a bug.  Bug reports are valid no matter who reports them, no matter whether that person is entitled to support.  Fixing a bug is not giving me support.  Giving me support is helping me perform a backup or restore when I'm having trouble doing one.  Fixing bugs is not user support.  It's product engineering.  Let's keep the two concepts clearly delineated.  They are separate.  Don't ask for my license when I report a bug.

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
I was rather surprised the license # was included in the Reflect Logs after the Nero Burning ROM fiasco.  Nero used to put the user's license # in output logs so thousands of people were using the software for free for a long time.  They'd simply go by the support forums, find any post, and copy a license key from a posted log entry.  Then, they got free use of the software because this was like 20 years ago, before phone home activations were a common thing.  Nero took too long, really, before they realized what they had done and removed the output of the license key from the logs.

capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
Joe Allen - 11 September 2023 4:28 PM

Examining one of my recent logs shows both the version number and license key at the bottom.  If it's the version number you're interested in, it's already there so what purpose does the license key serve?

Windows 10 Home (22H2)  Build 19045.4046 (Desktop)
Windows 11 Home (22H2)  Build 22621.1992  (Laptop)
Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search