Feature to exclude specific folders / files from an Windows system volume image completly

Author
decker
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Using the the regisry entry FilesNotToSnapshotMacriumImage folders and files can be excluded from an image. Unfortuately the VSS Windows feature does not really do is.
It does not works for too many files. In the case the VSS Windows internal maximum number for file entries is less then the numer of files all files that do not fit on the list are NOT excluded.
Additonally I do not find any information about this maximum number. But it seems to be low.

In my case this means that I have 200GB of cached esp. cloud files from Tresorit and Qobuz in every fullbackup. This is completely useless because all these files are encrypted by an unknown key. Tresorit and many other programs rely on the user profile folder as root for their data.
For other cloud services like oneDrive this can be solved by moving the local files to another volume. But this is time consuming and error prone. Much work in the registry has to be done and it is unclear how long the workaround really works. There is no interface agreement.
The other work around is to move the whole profile but the the image of the Windows volue is starting to be of less use or again more work and isues.
In the end I do not see a not bad work around.

Other image software like True Image does not have this issue. They exclude every folder what I want to be excluded.
So I would be please if Macrium can change this or are there other solutions?

Thanks and best
Thomas
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search