Blue Screen on RE Rescue Media

Author
JL Arranz
Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)Junior Member (93 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dan Danz - 13 October 2023 1:50 PM
@JL Arranz [...] KB5030310 and KB5030219 [...] If you never installed any of the Preview patchs mentioned in the first paragraph above, then I'm stumped.

I hope you get well soon.

I believe those KBs belong to Windows 11 and you mean kb5030300 (not 310) and possibly kb5029331, mentioned by you before. I installed the latter in August 31th, before my RM v7638 that works, and the former in October 8th, after my good RM but before my v7675 bad one. Hence in my case the culprit would be kb5030300.

I'm starting to think that WinPE is more reliable if you don't need WiFi. In a foreseeable future my images will be in internal disks or in USB drives (so USB3 matters, but WinPE has it).

I have just tried WinPE, the iso is smaller (about one half) and the processor doesn't get as hot: after trying with WinRE lately it started at over 80ºC in Windows (I hadn't noticed this "in previous times"), then it cooled down gradually to normal temps, in part because I use SpeedFan to accelerate the fans (both, the CPU and the exhaust one, that are quite close) depending on the CPU temp (if you cannot do this, the exhaust fan will only accelerate in summer because the "system temp" remains cool enough despite the processor being really hot). On the other hand, after this proof with WinPE, the CPU started at about 50ºC in Windows, normal for this computer and weather.

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)
Joe Allen - 13 October 2023 2:11 PM
Hi All, 

I'm going to run my tests again locally in the event I have missed something. 

We pull WinRE through the Windows installation itself. Windows initially places the WinRE image file (winre.wim) in the Windows partition, in the \Windows\System32\Recovery folder.

I will report back to this forum thread on either Monday or Tuesday.

Hi @JoeA

Since I perform daily full backups, I mounted the Reflect backup files to explore the hidden Recovery Tool partition for changes to the winre.wim file located in the Recovery/WindowsRE directory.

NOTE 1: I perform only daily full backups of my entire system drive.
NOTE 2: Currently my PC is running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 22H2 OS Build 19045.3570 using Reflect Home Edition 8.1.7675 and Rescue Media built using WinRE.
NOTE 3: I do NOT install the monthly Microsoft Preview OS patches.
NOTE 4: During my spot checking the winre.wim file in the hidden Recovery Tool partition, various versions of Reflect Home editions are used starting with 8.1.7469 going up to the current version 8.1.7675 version. 
NOTE 5: To see the hidden system files, you have to set the Windows Explorer to View > Options > View to disable various hidden options and enable seeing hidden files, folders and drives.

I started with the June full backup both before and after the Microsoft OS patch Tuesdays. Then proceeded to July and August and the same winre.wim file is dated 7/12/2022 with size 1,029,811 KB. The year 2022 is not a typo.

The September 12th Microsoft Patch Tuesday changes the winre.wim in the Recovery Tool partition's folder Recovery/WindowsRE and the new winre.wim file is dated 9/12/2023 with size 706,900 KB.

• My Reflect Home edition at the time that Microsoft changed the winre.wim is using the 8.1.7544 version.
  • Later, I upgraded to 8.1.7638 on September 27th and due to the automatic rebuild of the Reflect WIM when building the new Rescue Media using WinRE, I encounter the BSOD issue when I booted from the new Reflect Rescue Media.
  • October 9th I upgraded to the current 8.1.7675 version and I still encountered the BSOD issue when I booted from the new Reflect Rescue Media.

The October 10th Microsoft Patch Tuesday changes the winre.wim in the Recovery Tool partition's folder Recovery/WindowsRE and the new winre.wim file is dated 10/10/2023 with size 747,904 KB.

On my PC, the October 10th Microsoft Patch Tuesday fixed the issue reported in post #1 of BSOD when booting from the Rescue Media built using WinRE on the Windows 10 platform after I performed a force rebuild of the Reflect WIM since I was already on the latest version of Reflect.

Edited 14 October 2023 2:06 PM by Reflecting Mirror
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
That makes WRONG my insistence that the  Recovery Partition from the backup of a system release that had never been patched by a Preview.  When my recovery methods successfully recovered and RM ran without a problem, I even RE-APPLIED one Preview patch and got the BSOD.    I also took the October and November Patch Tuesday updates and didn't have anytrouble with them but you had trouble when the October update was on your system.  I don't mind that you disproved my theories -- I just don't know what further proof I could've offered. 

There's some artifact somewhere that I hope support can find.    There's an area I never investigated:  Where is the missing ntoskernel.exe supposed to be?  And another:  WRBM boots from the staging area, What's different about the expanded Wim found there when WRBM fails and when WRBM boots.

Anyway, Godspeed @JoeA.  I'll be watching this topic closely for your analysis of the real cause. .

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
JL Arranz - 13 October 2023 8:20 PM
Dan Danz - 13 October 2023 1:50 PM
@JL Arranz [...] KB5030310 and KB5030219 KB503300 and KB5029331 [...] If you never installed any of the Preview patchs mentioned in the first paragraph above, then I'm stumped.   {Corrected 2023-10-14 by Dan Danz}

I believe those KBs belong to Windows 11 and you mean kb5030300 (not 310) and possibly kb5029331, mentioned by you before. I installed the latter in August 31th, before my RM v7638 that works, and the former in October 8th, after my good RM but before my v7675 bad one. Hence in my case the culprit would be kb5030300.

@JL Arranz You are 100% correct ... the bad preview updates for Win 22H2 systems are KB5030300 and KB5029331 -- I have corrected my original post, and the quote of it in this post.

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)
Hi @DanDanz

I think you meant September and October instead of October and November in your post.

EDIT:
On my Windows 10 Pro PC, I am finding the ntoskrnl.exe file in the C:\Windows\System32 directory along with three other directories that appear to be Windows patch backups of the file.
END EDIT.

I upgraded Reflect on September 27th when I encountered the BSOD problem which was after the Microsoft patch Tuesday on September 12th which changed the winre.wim file and due to I created a new Reflect Rescue Media causing the Media builder to automatically rebuild the Reflect WIM.

Actually, I was not trying to disprove anything you observed in your posts. I was posting my investigation based on Joe Allen's post.

Joe Allen said:

We pull WinRE through the Windows installation itself. Windows initially places the WinRE image file (winre.wim) in the Windows partition, in the \Windows\System32\Recovery folder.

On my Windows 10 PC, the winre.wim did not exist in the C partition when I searched for the winre.wim file and the only file in the directory Joe Allen posted has a XML definition. I decided that Microsoft would place the winre.wim in the Recovery partition so you can boot the PC.

I hope you are feeling better.

Edited 14 October 2023 8:19 PM by Reflecting Mirror
Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)
Just to confirm ---  

I built recovery env for  7638 on 9/4  which was  after I  applied the  preview patch for Sept 2023  for win 10 22H2  /  Win 10 RE 2004 

When discovered that it did not work I rebuilt 7638 using win PE and -- that worked

After the oct2023 patch  was  applied  and I update reflect to 7675  I rebuilt the  recovery env with Win 10 RE 2004  

and that works now

Joe Allen
Joe Allen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)
Group: Administrators
An update to this thread: 

I have been busier than I thought I would be and have not made as much progress as I would have liked to.  

I will have an update shortly. I apologise for this delay

We hope everything is okay and for a speedy recovery @DanDanz

Kind Regards

Joe A

Macrium Support Team

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Edited 17 October 2023 3:19 PM by Joe Allen
Ken
Ken
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)
So I'm having this same issue with two Asus laptops with the latest purchase release of the Home product. 

Went to implement the workaround and downloaded the Windows 10 PE. Created and tested the rescue media, all good on one machine. That was yesterday.

Today I went to do the same thing on the second laptop but I can't download the Windows 10 PE. It starts normally but then takes for ever to download and this is on a computer that is wired to router. Eventually it fails and I get the same message box that it needs to download the components, . Click download and the process kicks off. Can take fifteen minutes to download 100MB. Eventually it times out.

Tried downloading Win 11 PE. Process kicks off great, 300 MB downloaded in a flash then it stops. Downloads 20 MB, then stops and finally times out and says I need to download again.

Does anyone know where these files are coming from, is it a MS server or a Macrium server? Is there a way to check server status?

Can I copy files from one computer to the other? Is there an alternate source I can get just the PE environment without downloading the whole ADK (I think it is a component with ADK, been wrong lots of times.)

Other ideas.

Thanks
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
The source is most likely a Microsoft server.  If you download the Reflect Download Agent, you can choose to just download the WinPE package.  However, since that most likely just downloads the files from the same Microsoft server, you're probably going to have similar problems.

Ken
Ken
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)
So I used the reflect download agent on another machine and got win 10 pe as a zip file. 

Could anyone recommend how I would use this file to create the rescue media.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search