Blue Screen on RE Rescue Media

Author
RayG
Expert
Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hmmm... I have read most of the above, but I would like to make the following comment:

For a totally unrelated reason I had to do a restore from a backup and suffered the above issue. Windows was still running so I created a bootable CD image from the v8.1.7638 ISO that I had. This booted as expected and I was able to do the restore back to the 8th of October,

This restore took Macrium back to v8.1.7638 at the same time. As I restored ALL the partitions the Macrium Boot and Recovery partition were also back to v8.1.7638. After the system was restored, I quickly turned off windows update and then rebooted the system to see if the RE version that was installed worked, it did.

After a reboot back into windows, the system was now missing the update to v8.1.7675 I then let Macrium do the update and then decided just to see if, after updating the boot menu it would work. It did not, it suffered from the same issue as above. 

So, I find it interesting the MS is being blamed for the problem.as it seems just updating from v8.1.7638 to v8.1.7675 creates the problem without any of the October patches installed.

The PE version works just fine for the moment.

So If I have missed something please let me know.

Regards
RayG
Windows10 Pro X64 V22H2 B19045.3803 MR v8.1.7784
Edited 30 October 2023 4:19 PM by RayG
Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)
I think the issue was with the September  patch and preview patch to the  September patch ----  

In my case I skipped the October preview patch and let the 10/10 patch get applied

At that point I rebuiltthe recoveryy env with 7675 and force the build  to make sure that the win 10 RE was update

recovery env now works with   reflect 7675 and win 10 RE

RayG
RayG
Expert
Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)Expert (724 reputation)
Frank Esposito - 30 October 2023 3:45 PM
I think the issue was with the September  patch and preview patch to the  September patch ----  

In my case I skipped the October preview patch and let the 10/10 patch get applied

At that point I rebuiltthe recoveryy env with 7675 and force the build  to make sure that the win 10 RE was update

Thanks Frank - I'll have a play...

Regards
RayG
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
RayG - 30 October 2023 4:19 PM

@RayG Check your Windows Update history -- I suspect you have a Preview version of a Windows Update applied that caused the bad RM build.
Look for the word Preview in the patch name -- you didn't say which OS you're running, 10 or 11.  My problems were all with Win 10, and involved one or both KB503300 and KB5029331. 

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

Edited 30 October 2023 5:46 PM by Dan Danz
RayG
RayG
Expert
Dan Danz - 30 October 2023 5:42 PM
RayG - 30 October 2023 4:19 PM

@RayG Check your Windows Update history -- I suspect you have a Preview version of a Windows Update applied that caused the bad RM build.
Look for the word Preview in the patch name -- you didn't say which OS you're running, 10 or 11.  My problems were all with Win 10, and involved one or both KB503300 and KB5029331. 
Ok back in August the KB5029331 patch was installed. So, it would only go wrong if you rebuilt the recovery environment. which I did of course after updating MR, Angry

Regards
RayG
Ken
Ken
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)
So Macrium responded to the formal ticket and as Dan outlined they say it was a bad patch that cause the RE environment to become corrupt. They were not as specific as Dan as to which patch caused issue. 

The issue I reported is with Window 10 machines.

The person I was helping did install the October preview, I never asked about September's. ( I told the person I was helping to stop installing previews.) 

As this is a Windows issue, Macrium is not working on any fixes as there is nothing wrong with Macrium.

They advised that MS has been made aware but had no details as to when or how MS may resolve.

As to Ray's post. As you were using the ISO of an earlier version the boot files were whole in the ISO so it worked. I'll bet if you forced the rebuild of the WIM using your current RE environment it to would fail with 7638.
SteveTalon2018
SteveTalon2018
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
I'm on Win 10 Pro 22H2.
I recently ran into the same Error code: 0xc000a004. Here's what happened and what I did to resolve it.

I started with September Window Updates having already been installed for almost a month. Just before installing the October Updates, I updated to Reflect Home v8.1.7675  and rebuilt both the WinRE USB media and WinRE boot menu rescue options - but didn't test them.

I proceeded with October's Windows Updates. After that I decided to rebuild both Macrium rescue options and test them. Both would throw the error. I tried a force rebuild of the WIM file and still had the errors for both options. So I rebuilt both rescue options using WinPE and they both worked just fine. I made a Reflect image of my SSD in that state.

But I don't like leaving problems unaddressed by just using a 'work-around'.
Although I never install Windows "Previews", I checked my September and October update history just to confirm one hadn't slipped by. None had, so that certainly wasn't the problem.

Next I restored my full backup from prior to September and October Windows Updates and tested both WinRE options. Both worked fine. I then carefully installed Reflect updates doing full reboots after each update, then rebuilding the WinRE rescue options and testing them. I did Differential Reflect images between each update in case one of them caused the error to return. I updated all the way to up to v8.1.7675 with both WinRE options always continuing to work fine.

Next I proceeded to install September and October Windows Updates, using the same method of differentials after each update and testing the WinRE options as well. (Note: I used Windows Update MiniTool, so I could install updates one at a time.)  None of the updates broke the Reflect rescue options, so I knew the windows recovery partion, boot menu, etc, were not corrupted or 'out of sync' with the version of Reflect I had updated to.

Finally, to easily recover all the progam and data changes I'd made since prior to September's Windows updates, I restored my OS and Data partions from the Reflect image I'd made post-October Windows Updates (noted in the third paragraph of this post). I tested the Reflect boot menu first and it failed. So, I forced a rebuild.
After that, everything works perfectly - although from now on I'll always have both an RE USB and a PE USB rescue disk!

There is probably a shorter way to solve this but I wanted to do step-wise troubleshoot and see if I could identify if any update (Reflect or Windows) might be the culprit. Unfortunately, I found no clear culprit, but I'm whole again.

Edited 4 November 2023 10:43 PM by SteveThinkpad520M
Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)
Microsoft has me mystified regarding the October 10th OS patching effect on the Recovery Tool partition's folder Recovery/WindowsRE directory that contains the Windows winre.wim file which I will explain later in this post.

A short recap from my previous detailed post below:

https://forum.macrium.com/post/74365

Using older full backup images, I mounted the Recovery Tools partition and enabled show hidden OS files.

July and August in the Recovery Tool partition's folder Recovery/WindowsRE directory had the same winre.wim file is dated 7/12/2022 with size 1,029,811 KB. The year 2022 is not a typo.

September 12th Microsoft Patch Tuesday changes the winre.wim in the Recovery Tool partition's folder Recovery/WindowsRE and the new winre.wim file is dated 9/12/2023 with size 706,900 KB.

October 10th Microsoft Patch Tuesday changes the winre.wim in the Recovery Tool partition's folder Recovery/WindowsRE and the new winre.wim file is dated 10/10/2023 with size 747,904 KB.

Now for the mystery.

To make a long story short, a different third party software on my PC was giving me problems which resulted in me restoring a full backup to August 4th. This means I am running on the July 12th OS patches. I checked the Windows OS patching history to confirm.

I then proceeded to update all the other software and data except for the Windows OS patching. Hence, I upgrade Reflect and rebuilt the Reflect WinRE using the July Recovery Tool partition's folder Recovery/WindowsRE directory with winre.wim dated 7/12/2022 with size 1,029,811 KB. The year 2022 is not a typo.

Using Windows Update which was only offering the October 10th OS patches, I then proceeded to install from July directly to October 10th OS patches. I still have Preview OS patching disabled.

Today, I thought to check the Recovery Tool partition's folder Recovery/WindowsRE directory with winre.wim expecting to see the same size of 747,904 KB from my previous post.

The July directly to October 10th OS patching was a smaller size of 708.601 KB than the previous October 10th OS patching of 747,904 KB but similar to the September 12th OS patching of 706,900 KB.

Again I confirmed the OS patching went directly from July to October 10th. No September patches and no preview patches.

I am hesitant to force rebuild the Reflect WinRE to test if the BSOD occurs.

The point of this follow-up post is the inconsistency of the Windows OS patching effect on the Recovery Tool partition's folder Recovery/WindowsRE directory with winre.wim file since I expected after the October 10th OS patching that the winre.wim would be near or exact size as before.
Edited 8 November 2023 7:40 PM by Reflecting Mirror
Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)Advanced Member (503 reputation)
It look like the last  reflect update  build 7784 finally addresses this issue 
Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)Advanced Member (445 reputation)
Frank Esposito - 2 December 2023 3:19 PM
It look like the last  reflect update  build 7784 finally addresses this issue 

The BSOD issue reported in this thread was a symptom of Reflect rebuilding the Recue Media but not caused by Reflect. The root cause was Microsoft OS patching changing the winre.wim located in the Windows Recovery partition that Reflect copies to build its own winre.wim for the Reflect Rescue Media WinRE.

The confusion of the various Reflect versions is due to people upgrading Reflect from/to different versions and at different Windows OS patching versions which introduced the problem due to the OS patches. The creating a new Reflect Rescue Media which automatically rebuilds the Reflect WIM after the Reflect application upgrade. Using the WinRE option causes Reflect to copy as a starting point the winre.wim from Microsoft located in the Windows Recovery partition for the rebuilds of the Reflect winre.wim file. 

Per the release notes, 8.1.7784 was resolving completely different set of issues than the BSOD reported in this thread.
Edited 2 December 2023 10:28 PM by Reflecting Mirror
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search