Grouping of backup tasks to run as a batch

Author
Phillipus
Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've come to Macrium Reflect from Backup4All and something I miss is the ability to run a batch of backup tasks in one go.  My use case is that I do manual file/folder backups, not scheduled ones. I have about 12 definition files that I have to run separately. I would like to group these tasks so I can simply click "Run" on the batch and they execute consecutively in the queue.

Edited 4 September 2023 4:16 PM by Phillipus
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Just to make sure aware you’re aware, you can have multiple source folder selections even across multiple source volumes all in a single File & Folder job if you want. Backing up 12 folders even from completely separate places does not automatically require 12 definition files.

Otherwise, Reflect has a KB article for using it from the command line, so you could use that information to manually create a 12-line batch file that simply called Reflect 12 times, specifying a different batch file on each line. The exit code of the batch file might not always be very useful though, since if a backup error caused an exit code like 0x1 for the batch file itself, you wouldn’t know which backup had triggered it. But maybe not a concern for your use case.
Edited 4 September 2023 5:52 PM by jphughan
Phillipus
Phillipus
Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)Junior Member (73 reputation)
jphughan - 4 September 2023 5:52 PM
Just to make sure aware you’re aware, you can have multiple source folder selections even across multiple source volumes all in a single File & Folder job if you want. Backing up 12 folders even from completely separate places does not automatically require 12 definition files.

Otherwise, Reflect has a KB article for using it from the command line, so you could use that information to manually create a 12-line batch file that simply called Reflect 12 times, specifying a different batch file on each line. The exit code of the batch file might not always be very useful though, since if a backup error caused an exit code like 0x1 for the batch file itself, you wouldn’t know which backup had triggered it. But maybe not a concern for your use case.

I'm trying to avoid having one huge backup file, so I split them into separate tasks.

Thanks for the heads up on the batch file, I'll check it out.

Phillipus
Phillipus
This should have been posted in the Reflect V8 Wish List forum.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search