Scheduling Inconsistency

Author
Ken
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hoping someone can help me with the scheduler. 

I have an incremental backup scheduled to run every evening at 20:00 hrs. Friday the August 25, 2023 this task failed, could not find my Nas. ( I've adjust NAS start up to be 30 minutes before this task starts to prevent this.)

On Saturday August 26, 2023 at 8:58 am I manually invoked an incremental to make up for the failed one. It completed successfully. My expectation is Macrium  would run again on the 26th at 20:00hrs as per schedule. According to the scheduler, screenshot attached, it did. But actually it didn't as you can see no log file was created, screenshot attached.

What the Macrium scheduler did do is run the task the morning of August 27th at 8:56 am which did fail, and was logged, because the NAS powers down at 6:00am . ( Again according to scheduler the last task was run on the 26th)

Just as a piece of information, this laptop is set to never sleep and was power on.

Why did the task show it ran on schedule but was delayed 12 hrs. Keeping in mind it recorded it did run at 20:00hrs on the 26th but did not create a log. 
Ken
Ken
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)Advanced Member (577 reputation)
The backup did not run as scheduled on August 27th at 20:00 hrs. Although when I went to investigate I opened the laptop lid and a few moments later the task started. So it was as if the laptop was asleep. 

I investigated further and found the the AV scans were also not running on schedule for the last couple of days. It was like Modern Standby had been enable and even though the power option for sleep was set to "never" it was somehow in that Modern Standby "Sleep" state.

I restarted the laptop and decided I would check the AV status this morning, Monday August 28th, Indeed the the AV ran this morning at 7:00am on schedule.

I will monitor the running of the backup tonight. I'm hoping the restart reset what ever condition was present and blocking task initiation..
Ken
Ken
Advanced Member
The backup ran on schedule on August 28th at 20:00hrs. 

Will never know what caused the inconsistency, the Windows Restart reset what ever condition was present.

No changes were made to Power settings, just a simple restart. I will be left wondering if the failed back up Friday evening did something.

Consider this resolved but not solved.
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
I have had limited success outsmarting ConnectedStsndby mode with some hacks to the registry and power configurations    Some jobs start at 4am, others wait until I wake the laptop later in the morning.  Most are fast Inc or diff backups so they run quickly and don't get in my way. I can only hope that HP will hear my whining about making S0-Idle a user option overriding the BIOS change that made it mandatory for HP systems that target business users!

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

Ken
Ken
Advanced Member
Yes this new power state is a challenge. I'm get closer all the time to switching to S3. I can't imagine what got set that stopped scheduled tasks. Macrium uses its scheduler and it was being suspended. The AV uses Windows task scheduler and its was also missing starts. 

Thankfully the restart cleared the condition.

Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
Ken - 29 August 2023 1:41 PM
Yes this new power state is a challenge. I'm get closer all the time to switching to S3. I can't imagine what got set that stopped scheduled tasks. Macrium uses its scheduler and it was being suspended. The AV uses Windows task scheduler and its was also missing starts. 

Thankfully the restart cleared the condition.

You can only revert to S1-S3 if your BIOS lets.   My two HP laptops got updated BIOS firmware from HP that disallows the return to S3 land.

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

Ken
Ken
Advanced Member
Thanks Dan. This Dell supports S3, I confirmed with Dell support. There is a option in the BIOS to block S3 in the OS and its default state is set to "Off"

Ken
Ken
Advanced Member
Second Friday in a row where something is getting set, Friday evening, which is preventing task scheduler from running. 

I see in event viewer the system is entering Modern Standby. ( I have it set to not sleep. ) Maybe my wife is selecting sleep from power menu but why she would only do that on Fridays is strange.

I see a string of Network errors there after.

I restarted machine, fix from last time, and will have to track down more detail as to what is going on.
Ken
Ken
Advanced Member
Small update.

I was having issues with Macrium not kicking off backups consistently, hence this thread. If Macrium task didn't run then AV wouldn't run either on its schedule. I was on another forum and through discussion I thought what if I moved from the Macrium Task Scheduler back to the Windows tasks scheduler.

I made the change to the Windows Tasks scheduler and all my backups are running on time as is the AV.  Really to early to point any fingers but this is what I'm seeing. Now the laptop I'm running this on is a laptop that uses Modern Standby. I had called Dell, I was trying to switch to S3, and they now tell me that because the processor, i5-12500H, does not support S3 their BIOS does not. I have not confirmed statement but was plenty annoyed as on a previous call they told me the laptop does support S3. 

I should also mention that in the power settings, battery and plug in, I set the system to do nothing if lid is closed. The power options to sleep (inactivity) is also set to never, battery or plugged in. These have been set this way for sometime. The next step I'm likely to take is to reverse these setting, set lid close to sleep and the inactivity monitor to sleep after 30 minutes. Then monitor if backups initiate on schedule.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search