Why does my Image Creation take forever

Author
mb300e4m
Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I am using a  VAIO SX14 i7 laptop with Windows 10 Pro installed on a 1TB SSD. I am trying to create a C drive (200GB used) full image to an external WD HDD. The external HDD is a "WD 4TB My Passport Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 MOdel WDBYFT0040BBL-WESN Blue" and is USB 3.0 with Mirco B connection. The cable is also USB 3.0 and is about 18 inches in length. The SSD has two partitions on it, C for the OP Sys and D for data only.
I started the image creation this morning and it is at 29% right now and shows time remaining 13 Hours. Each time over the past few months when i have done the same, it seems to take all day to complete. The Transfer Rate is about 125 Mb/s. Just like molasses in a fridge.
I am sure there are many reasons why it is slow, but are there any things I could check to see if there is an issue causing the slow speed of the image creation.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Edited 26 August 2023 8:21 PM by mb300e4m
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
One reason could be the WB My Passport HDD.  Those models of WD USB 3.0 HDD's are slower than things like WD's My Book and EasyStore.  The internal hardware is like 5400 RPM versus the 7200 RPM of the other faster devices.

Even at that, though, 13 hours seems a bit excessive.  Particularly for 200 GB.  I can backup about 800 GB overnight to a WD USB 3.0 EasyStore.

mb300e4m
mb300e4m
Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)Junior Member (81 reputation)
dbminter - 26 August 2023 9:05 PM
One reason could be the WB My Passport HDD.  Those models of WD USB 3.0 HDD's are slower than things like WD's My Book and EasyStore.  The internal hardware is like 5400 RPM versus the 7200 RPM of the other faster devices.

Even at that, though, 13 hours seems a bit excessive.  Particularly for 200 GB.  I can backup about 800 GB overnight to a WD USB 3.0 EasyStore.

It is now showing 35% at 124 Mb/s with 14 hours to go.
Edited 27 August 2023 1:24 PM by mb300e4m
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
I may try and run a test on my WD My Passport.  I've got about a 200 GB partition I can backup to it.  See what kind of results I get.

mb300e4m
mb300e4m
dbminter - 26 August 2023 9:48 PM
I may try and run a test on my WD My Passport.  I've got about a 200 GB partition I can backup to it.  See what kind of results I get.

It still had another hour and a half to go at 9 AM this morning. Grrr...
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
I did a controlled test of 180 GB backed up to a 5 TB USB 3.0 WD My Passport drive.  This backup had automatic verification and file splitting at the 4 GB mark.

Total Selected: 180.59 GB

Write Method: Using File System Cache

I/O Performance: Read 1.2 Gb/s - Write 886.9 Mb/s

Image and Verification Completed Successfully in 00:30:20

So, where should you go from here?  First, I would check the Log for the Write Method used.  What does it say?

You could also try seeing if the Backup --> Disk Write Performance could be improved.  Highlight the volume letter for your My Passport target device and press Test.  My My Passport uses File System.  If yours is not File System, you could try Edit and choose File System.  Or you could alternatively try changing to each available option under Edit and see if that improves performance.

Also, please post a Log from one of these backups that is completed.  That will provide more insight into what could possibly be going wrong.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search