Site Manager Repository Partial Synchronisation?

Author
FWest98
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Before asking a question, which might be the wrong approach altogether, let me sketch my situation and intended approach:

Currently, I am using Macrium to make backups of 5 machines - 2 of my own in my own home, and 3 of my parents in their home. In total, there is about 5.5TB of source data to backup - but after storing multiple full backups of the most important data, this grows to ~11TB total backup size. I am backing up the data to two Synology NAS devices - one in my home and one at my parents' place. My own NAS also runs a VM with Site Manager, to automate and centralise backup definitions and schedules. I have also set up repository synchronisation between both NAS devices for an off-site backup.

Now, I would like to add a proper "cloud" off-site backup, for which I have a StorageBox at Hetzner of 10TB. For this remote backup, I clearly cannot store multiple full backups per device/drive/schedule due to size constraints, but I also do not see the need for it - 1 full backup and some differentials/incrementals should be plenty. So I am looking for ways to manage this using Macrium and SiteManager.

Creating a new backup schedule with a different planning is not feasible - I do not have the best upload speed, so then my PCs and laptops would need to remain powered on for days or weeks to finish the upload. Accessing such a cloud resource from each client computer separately therefore seems a bit unnecessarily complicated. The ideal solution would be to have a "partial" repository synchronisation, where only each most recent full backup is synchronised, instead of all backups in the entire repository (which would be too much data). However, I do not seem to be able to find an option for this.

Is something like this even possible? If not, what options do I have to upload my data to Hetzner, without having to leave each PC powered on for days/weeks?

Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (619 reputation)Macrium Representative (619 reputation)Macrium Representative (619 reputation)Macrium Representative (619 reputation)Macrium Representative (619 reputation)Macrium Representative (619 reputation)Macrium Representative (619 reputation)Macrium Representative (619 reputation)Macrium Representative (619 reputation)Macrium Representative (619 reputation)
Group: Macrium Moderators
FWest98 - 21 August 2023 4:10 PM
Before asking a question, which might be the wrong approach altogether, let me sketch my situation and intended approach:

Currently, I am using Macrium to make backups of 5 machines - 2 of my own in my own home, and 3 of my parents in their home. In total, there is about 5.5TB of source data to backup - but after storing multiple full backups of the most important data, this grows to ~11TB total backup size. I am backing up the data to two Synology NAS devices - one in my home and one at my parents' place. My own NAS also runs a VM with Site Manager, to automate and centralise backup definitions and schedules. I have also set up repository synchronisation between both NAS devices for an off-site backup.

Now, I would like to add a proper "cloud" off-site backup, for which I have a StorageBox at Hetzner of 10TB. For this remote backup, I clearly cannot store multiple full backups per device/drive/schedule due to size constraints, but I also do not see the need for it - 1 full backup and some differentials/incrementals should be plenty. So I am looking for ways to manage this using Macrium and SiteManager.

Creating a new backup schedule with a different planning is not feasible - I do not have the best upload speed, so then my PCs and laptops would need to remain powered on for days or weeks to finish the upload. Accessing such a cloud resource from each client computer separately therefore seems a bit unnecessarily complicated. The ideal solution would be to have a "partial" repository synchronisation, where only each most recent full backup is synchronised, instead of all backups in the entire repository (which would be too much data). However, I do not seem to be able to find an option for this.

Is something like this even possible? If not, what options do I have to upload my data to Hetzner, without having to leave each PC powered on for days/weeks?

The Remote Sync function is intended to allow for offsite sync of the whole repository - each sync will only upload changes though, so you can achieve some of what you are looking for by doing the following:
1. Split one repository into many - you can have repositories on \\server\share\folder1 and \\server\share\folder2 - this would allow you to exclude some backups from the sync
2. Seeding remote syncs - if you find some other mechanism to upload your data, you can 'preupload' the fulls, so only the incs get uploaded on sync

Also note that in Site Manager, any backup files in a repository that is a created on a network share will be synced, not just Site Manager created ones

We don't have a mechanism to only upload the most recent X backup sets per computer, though I will pass that to our team to investigate

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Edited 22 August 2023 1:44 PM by Alex
FWest98
FWest98
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hmm the split repository solution is not ideal, since then you cannot sync specific versions but only separate definitions. I might be able to use 2 definitions for the same data with 1 full copy present, instead of 1 definition with 2 full copies of history - but that's still quite the hassle and might limit the amount of history or granularity of the history depending on the settings.

So yes, please forward this feedback to the team - I would be very happy with a feature like this to be implemented.

Edited 26 August 2023 6:58 PM by FWest98
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search