"DELETE & MERGE" function request

Author
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Clearly the ability to MERGE given images within an image backup chain already exists in both the "Incremental Forever" and "Incremental Merge" modes of Reflect's image chain mgmt.  What I find would be very useful would be an option to "DELETE & MERGE" (along with the normal DELETE, not as a replacement) any given Incremental image within a backup chain.

At the moment, when a given Incremental is manually marked for deletion, that incremental as well as any dependent "children" images based on that incremental must be deleted.  If all I want to do is remove a certain time point within that incremental chain, I should be able to execute the above suggested operation and through normal image merging mgmt, only that incremental will disappear from the chain and not all the dependent "children" that follow it.

This function is very useful for those of us who not only use GFS-style system image mgmt, but also use MANUAL snapshotting within that GFS definition for certain special time point captures along the way (protection from Software updates and/or MicroSloth updates gone awry, Alpha/Beta software testing, etc.).  If the time point capture proves to not be needed at a later date and any changes included in that capture have been removed from the system, it would be nice to remove it from the chain without disturbing the integrity of the whole chain at that time.

Wha'd'ya think?  Maybe it could be called the"DERGE" function... Smile (It's a serious request...)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search