viboot and technicians portable

Author
Montgomery_Minds
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a technician's portable license. So I have an external drive with macrium reflect portable on it. I use this on various PCs both while Windows is live and running and also booting into the macrium preboot-environment as an alternate boot with macrium reflect available.

Can I run viboot from my portable external hard drive with my technician's portable license?

What rights does my technician's portable license give me to run viboot?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Given that viBoot is included even with Reflect Free (until that was discontinued), I would’t expect you would have any restrictions here — at least not from a licensing standpoint. But running viBoot will require that the host Windows environment already have a supported hypervisor installed and running. Hyper-V can’t be started in portable mode, and I’m not sure VirtualBox can either. And the Reflect Portable interface even in Windows doesn’t have the same UI as regular installed Reflect that includes the “Boot” button under Existing Backups, nor the standalone viBoot application. So that all might limit or restrict your use of viBoot with Technicians Portable media from a practical standpoint.

But if the technical barriers aren’t an issue, viBoot is pretty much just mounting images (albeit as virtual disk files in another format) and leveraging ReDeploy-type technology to allow them to boot as VMs. Both of those capabilities are present in Reflect Portable already, so I don’t see why they would be restricted when used specifically for viBoot.
Edited 26 July 2023 7:01 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search