Files to not be included in disk imaging

Author
Shai Lasher
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This is mostly for R&D team:
When imaging a whole drive or partition, some huge files like "pagefile" and such, may only make the backup huge for no good reason.
May be exclusion of specific files can be added as an option while creating a backup definition.
An idea to may be consider...

Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
I believe the PageFile is already excluded...

Pim
Pim
Expert
Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)
Froggie - 24 July 2023 3:25 PM
I believe the PageFile is already excluded...
That is indeed the case. Hiberfil.sys and swapfile.sys are also excluded. It may look like they are included when an image is mounted, but they are empty sparse files.

capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
I found this post from Macrium developers.

Windows 10 Home (22H2)  Build 19045.4046 (Desktop)
Windows 11 Home (22H2)  Build 22621.1992  (Laptop)
Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
They will be excluded provided you're not using Rescue Media (when VSS is not used), otherwise backups running under Windows can use VSS and one of the VSS writers is tasked with slimming the backup.  So you also must NOT prevent that writer from running (e.g., retrying a backup without VSS Writers, which is an option setting).

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

Shai Lasher
Shai Lasher
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Dan Danz - 24 July 2023 4:08 PM
They will be excluded provided you're not using Rescue Media (when VSS is not used), otherwise backups running under Windows can use VSS and one of the VSS writers is tasked with slimming the backup.  So you also must NOT prevent that writer from running (e.g., retrying a backup without VSS Writers, which is an option setting).

Many thanks for the response :-)
What I suggested is for future builds to have (When creating backup definition/set of a whole drive or partition) an option to exclude files by choice/selection of the user.

Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
File and Folder backup will let you choose which files to backup or to exclude from a backup. 

The image backup does NOT work with individual files.  It backs up clusters that are in use on a partition (or the whole partition). As noted above it is the VSS service that eliminates some of the large files when doing an image backup - not Reflect.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
There's a registry modification method you can use to achieve this today, but Macirum notes that "it isn't 100% reliable", possibly because it relies on the VSS engine to perform the deletions as Drac noted above. But if you're interested: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW80/How+to+exclude+files+from+a+Disk+Image

Shai Lasher
Shai Lasher
Drac144 - 24 July 2023 6:17 PM
File and Folder backup will let you choose which files to backup or to exclude from a backup. 

The image backup does NOT work with individual files.  It backs up clusters that are in use on a partition (or the whole partition). As noted above it is the VSS service that eliminates some of the large files when doing an image backup - not Reflect.

This is why I posted it in "my wish list" section.
I'm not referring to files and folders, but only to full drive/partition imaging.
In other backup apps, it is possible. I don't use them, but I do know them (Take Acronis True Image as an example).
In my view, it can be a useful improvement for future builds of "Reflect". :-)

Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
Shai,

Using Acronis as an example when on this forum may not be a good plan.  Many of us are former Acronis users who left that product because it was almost always buggy, there was little or no interaction with the company, and they were slow to fix significant issues.  Some of those issues were caused by adding new features that were poorly implemented and tested.

We prefer a company that provides a reliable product, reacts quickly to issues and has access to developers in situations were a user has a problem with the product. 

I mentioned workarounds because I thought you might be looking for a way to accomplish the feature you requested using today's product.  After spending a lot of time providing significant speed improvements I would not expect Macrium to add something that might slow down the backup.  Storage is relatively cheap these days so one can get a 4 TB external drive for around $100.  If it is important to you to reduce file size, Files & Folder backup allows surgical precision.  If you want speed, image backup can do that.  I cannot speak for Macrium, but trying to do both may not be worth the time and money.  Of course that depends on how many people think that feature is important.   
Edited 26 July 2023 4:35 PM by Joe Allen
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search