Show comment and MBR Restore choice in Restore Summary window

Author
Pim
Expert
Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just before a restore is started a Restore Summary is shown what selections have been made (see picture). I do miss two items in that window which are important, at least to me. First, the comment that may be have been added to the image being restored is not shown. I know that the comment is shown on the "Existing backups" tab, but it would be good to have a final check that I am going to restore the correct image, just as summarising the other items are a final check. There have been cases that after going through the restore sequence, just before I could click Finish I suddenly doubted whether I had chosen the correct image or that I just wanted to be very certain. The only way to be certain at that point is to cancel the restore and start over again.

The other item I would like to see added to the Restore Summary is the choice for Master Boot Record Restore. On some of my systems I have the default for this setting set to "Do not replace", because I use a multi-boot program (BootIt Bare Metal) on those systems that changes the MBR to allow for multi-boot. In order to prevent changes to the MBR when I restore an image I prefer "Do not replace" to be the default. However, in some cases I do need the MBR to be replaced with the MBR from the backup and when that is the case I sometimes forget that, because I am used not having to change this setting. I then have to restore the image again because there is no way that I can just replace the MBR from an image.
Showing the MBR Restore choice in the Restore Summary will likely remind me of the choice that I need to make. Also, and that goes for including the comment too, these are the only two parameters that are not included in the Restore Summary. Just for completeness these items should already be included, I think.

Edited 22 July 2023 7:21 AM by Pim
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
Sounds like two very useful requests. I, too, use comments extensively, and could use verification that I have chosen the correct backup to restore.

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
+1  I also regularly use comments and I think having the requested Log information would be useful.

Pim
Pim
Expert
Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)Expert (849 reputation)
Thanks for the support gentlemen. Wink

I only now noticed that there also is an error in every Restore Summary, which I want to add here. There is a section "Schedule" (see picture above) which does not make sense for a restore, because restores cannot be scheduled. It would be better to not include that section any more.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search