Latest Version of Reflect Home?

Author
BigMac1
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Currently on Reflect Home 8.1.7544
For some reason, it's not easy to learn from the website what is the most recent version of Reflect Home and when (or if) there will be a next version. I seem to have been on version 8 for quite a while. The in-progran 'check for updates' has been telling me there are no updates for quite some time. How can I learn if I am on the most recent version?
capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
Using the "Check for Updates" feature as you're doing will tell you if you're using the latest release.  You can also check the "Release Notes" under the Help menu for the latest information as well as history of the patches that have been released for the latest version (currently v8).    If you scroll to the bottom you'll see that v8 was released in May 2021.  There is an option under Other Tasks >Edit Defaults & Settings > Updates that allows you to set up daily automatic checks for new releases.

Historically, Macrium does not announce when a new version (e.g. v9) will be available.

Windows 10 Home (22H2)  Build 19045.4046 (Desktop)
Windows 11 Home (22H2)  Build 22621.1992  (Laptop)
Macrium Reflect 8.1.7847

Edited 19 July 2023 9:43 PM by capair45
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
capair45 - 19 July 2023 9:41 PM
Using the "Check for Updates" feature as you're doing will tell you if you're using the latest release.  You can also check the "Release Notes" under the Help menu for the latest information as well as history of the patches that have been released for the latest version (currently v8).    If you scroll to the bottom you'll see that v8 was released in May 2021.  There is an option under Other Tasks >Edit Defaults & Settings > Updates that allows you to set up daily automatic checks for new releases.

Historically, Macrium does not announce when a new version (e.g. v9) will be available.
Sometimes you will see a Macrium employee respond to a bug reported on the forum with the phrase "and will be fixed in an upcoming release".  If they told us anything more specific, we'd all be clamoring for that build version to be released.   And that would be wrong.  Only Macrium folks know of other problems in that build version.  Fixes have a nasty habit of introducing new problems because of the changes in that fix. And I can tell you from experience that the fix(es) I've been waiting for almost never arrive in a build that is my current build plus one.  And when the eventual patch release is available, I can see from the release notes that there, indeed, have been some nasty things fixed AFTER the build I was waiting for.

If you want to be on the leading (? bleeding ?) edge, the information from @capair45 quoted above is how the rest of us find out about patch release update availability.  If you do so, my recommendation is that you take a quick incremental backup of your system before updating.   To make that even easier,when setting up schedules for your backup scheme, include a non-scheduled task in the list of scheduled tasks.

One Time Only is critical, the start time is not relevant, and the start date must be in the past.  The only wayt this entry will run is when YOU invoke it with  "Run" from the Scheduled Backups tab.  Right-clicking on the entry has a "Run Now" option as well. Either method to invoke it has the desired result.

While there are other ways to run a one-time manual invocation of a Backup Definition File (BDF) or Script that runs backup,  this One Time Only approach has one signifcant advantage: it runs the backup the same way, with the same permissions as the other actually Scheduled Backups in the current backup set.  This techinique avoids a false sense of security when users perform Run Now on a BDF, and it works.  Later when it runs as a scheduled backup, it fails.  The suggested technique uses an incremental because it is the fastest addition to the backup set,and will use as a parent the latest differential or full.   So if you have to back out a problem update, it's a simple, fast restore (don't forget to use the Rapid Delta Restore option).  Many of us have been able to recover in less than 10 minutes of restore time. When you select this latest incremental for the restore source, Reflect will include any needed parent(s) but probably the only actual restored data will be in this last incremental. 

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search