remove BitLocker or find Bitlocker key

Author
willcurtis572
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I cloned my 512gb  ssd drive to a 2tb ssd drive. I didn't pay attention to the partition size and now I cannot format the new 2tb ssd tp start all over again. Where can I find the key to remove the bitlocker or how  do i workaround this.  HELP!!!! getting key id: BF5D08E when I try to access it thru file explorer
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If you linked your Windows user account to your Microsoft account, your BitLocker recovery key should be backed up to your Microsoft account. But if you can’t find it though, there’s no way to just remove BitLocker without deleting the entire partition.

However, if you just want to run the clone again, you can absolutely do that because Reflect has no problem overwriting existing partitions. You also don’t have to do any formatting beforehand, nor should you. Just open the clone wizard and on the first step, click Copy Partitions and choose the option to fit the cloned partitions to the destination’s capacity. Then proceed. However, if the source partition is locked at the time of the clone, the cloned partition will have BitLocker as well. If you want to avoid that, you need to either unlock the source partition beforehand or remove BitLocker entirely.

Either way, if you keep or re-enable BitLocker on the new SSD, back up your Recovery Key when you get into Windows, because there are multiple scenarios where you might be prompted to provide it during startup.
Edited 19 July 2023 1:46 AM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search