Re-establishing a connection to a backup after changing drive letter

Author
Suchafan
Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Can someone explain to me how to re-establish a connection to a backup after the drive letter was changed? Can it be done so I can continue backing up to it... or do I have to make a new backup?

Thanks for your help!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Open Reflect, go to the Create Backups > Definition Files tab, right-click the definition file you’re using for those backups, select Edit, change the destination, and click Finish.
Suchafan
Suchafan
Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)
jphughan - 16 July 2023 4:10 AM
Open Reflect, go to the Create Backups > Definition Files tab, right-click the definition file you’re using for those backups, select Edit, change the destination, and click Finish.

Hi jphughan, Thank you so very much for your response! That worked perfectlyl!!!!
Suchafan
Suchafan
Hi JP,
Sorry, I could not find a place in the Partition Section of this forum to post a new post, so I'm doing it here. Hope that is okay!

I recently upgraded from 1 TB SSD to 2 TB SSD drive on my Windows 10 PC. I formatted it and Disk Management shows it as one partition (1863 GB) but Reflect 8 shows the disk having 2 partitions; one Primary (unformatted 16 MB segment) and one Primary NTFS (148 GB segment). I have backups written to the larger partition and don't want to merge the segments and lose this data.

I can not grasp the process of how to merge these two partitions with Reflect 8 into one single partition without losing my backups. I haven't found the Users Guide or any YouTube videos particularly helpful for this procedure. Thanks!!
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
I would leave the 16 MB partition alone.  There's some kind of silliness where newly initiated drives have an unformatted partition on them as part of the disk layout.  I've never seen this partition actually used and supposedly you can delete this partition BUT, I wouldn't risk it.  Not for just 16 MB of free space.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
The partition you’re talking about is called an MSR partition. It is created automatically at the beginning of every disk initialized as GPT by Disk Management or Diskpart running within full Windows. (On GPT disks that will have a Windows partition, it is created after the EFI partition.) For some reason, neither Disk Management nor Diskpart actually show that partition, although as you’ve found, Reflect does. There’s nothing you can or really should be doing about it, and again you’ll see it more often since it’s a standard partition. So just leave it there. As you note, it’s only 16 MB.
Edited 16 July 2023 1:21 PM by jphughan
Suchafan
Suchafan
dbminter - 16 July 2023 12:18 PM
I would leave the 16 MB partition alone.  There's some kind of silliness where newly initiated drives have an unformatted partition on them as part of the disk layout.  I've never seen this partition actually used and supposedly you can delete this partition BUT, I wouldn't risk it.  Not for just 16 MB of free space.

Ok... Thanks for the words of wisdom!
Suchafan
Suchafan
dbminter - 16 July 2023 12:18 PM

Ok... thanks db!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search