Macrium V8 ignores "task conditions"

Author
dtellezjr
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am running the latest paid version of Macrium V8 on a laptop computer running the latest version of Windows 10.  I have a task condition for all three of my scheduled tasks (full, differential, and incremental) to "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power".  Macrium for all three scheduled tasks would ignore that the laptop was running on battery power and run the backup anyway.  I troubleshot by deleting all the schedules and recreating them but the problem did not go away.  I then switched to the Windows Scheduler from the default Macrium scheduler and Macrium did obey the task conditions.  However, eventually, Macrium stopped running scheduled backups on the Windows scheduler so I switched back to the Macrium scheduler and Macrium resumed scheduled backups.  However, Macrium again is ignoring the AC power task condition.  

I should mention that I also disconnect the destination USB hard drive when I disconnect the laptop from AC power so the submitted schedule will fail with a destination drive not available message.  It would be nice if Macrium had the task condition "Do not run if destination USB drive is unavailable" which was an available condition on Acronis (I was a long-time Acronis user). 

How do I resolve this issue?  Why do task conditions work under the Windows scheduler and not the Macrium scheduler?  How do I troubleshoot further?
Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
I use the Windows Task scheduler and have no problems making backups.   What conditions or non-default selections do you use that is causing Windows TS to not work?  If you resolve that ,you can go back to Win TS and not have to deal with Reflect TS issues.  

Of course Reflect TS should recognize the power state - but apparently it does not (at least on your system).  Maybe someone with a laptop can check to see if it works for them to determine if the issue is in Reflect or on your system.
dtellezjr
dtellezjr
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Drac144 - 24 June 2023 6:56 PM
I use the Windows Task scheduler and have no problems making backups.   What conditions or non-default selections do you use that is causing Windows TS to not work?  If you resolve that ,you can go back to Win TS and not have to deal with Reflect TS issues.  

Of course Reflect TS should recognize the power state - but apparently it does not (at least on your system).  Maybe someone with a laptop can check to see if it works for them to determine if the issue is in Reflect or on your system.

Yes, I would like to know if the Macrium Scheduler works as intended (with conditions) on another laptop.  Windows scheduler for some reason stopped submitting backup jobs (no error is given in the log) so that is why I switched back to the Macrium scheduler but the Macrium Scheduler ignores the power state of my laptop.
Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
If you go into Windows Task Scheduler and select the History tab for the Reflect task that is failing, you can see the actions taken. There are usually around 6 actions for each time a trigger occurs.  Looking at those actions and the details section below them you can get information on what happened and any errors/issues that were encountered.  If you are not sure what an issue means send us a copy of that part of the history and maybe someone here can figure it out.

Fulghumjd
Fulghumjd
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
If others in the Macrium V8 forum have a fix or solution to get the Macrium Scheduler to wake up from sleep running Windows 11 Home please post the solution here - Thank you for reading my post of this issue.

See my ticket I opened with Macrium V8 scheduler - which was closed with NO fix. 

https://help.macrium.com/support/tickets/242462

My Ticket

1) What are power settings or USB settings to wake up computer for back up to work? The computer is a all in one.. running windows 11. Macrium does work but only if manually scheduled or the machine is not asleep. If it goes to sleep it will not wake up during the schedule time, but when woken the backup begins. The settings for Macrium are set to allow to be woken up. Where are the Microsoft windows event logs to view when the computer goes to sleep or wakes up. Yes there are many areas for event logs if you could assist with that question maybe we can figure out what's going on. Thanks, Jim

Macrium response:
Hello Jim,
Thank you for contacting us.
Are there any errors listed under the scheduled backups tab? Please refer to the following knowledgebase article.
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW80/How+to+check+the+status+of+scheduled+backups

2) My response:
No there are NOT any errors listed under the scheduled backups tab.
Where are the Microsoft windows event logs to view when the computer goes to sleep or wakes up?

Macrium response:
Hello Jim
It would depend entirely on which scheduler you have set up.

If you go to Other Tasks>Edit Defaults and Settings>Schedule Settings, you can switch to the Macrium Task Scheduler or Windows Task Scheduler to see if that makes any difference. For the former, you can see the logs for the tasks in Scheduled Backups>History or the Logs tab, and for the latter, you can open up the Task Scheduler on Windows, but in order to see the activity, you will need to have Task History enabled.

Please send a screenshot of your Scheduled Backups>Edit>Conditions window.

3) My Response:
I am using Macrium Task Schedule not Windows Task Scheduler. See two screenshots.

Macrium reponse:

Hello Jim ,

Can you switch it to the Windows Task Scheduler and see if this has any effect?

4) My Response:
I have been using Macrium for about 4 years now on 3 different PC’s and always use Macrium scheduler with no issue. But now with a new Windows 11 PC and a fresh install of Marcium with updates I have issues of the Computer NOT waking up to perform a backup, but when I touch the mouse it wakes up and the backup runs.

Can you PLEASE have another support person review all the various issues reported with Windows 11 regarding sleep/wake – see this link
https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/the-computer-wont-wake-up-from-sleep-on-windows-11-how-to-fix-the-issue/

As to how to find the Windows Events to see when the computer “woke up” see this link https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-find-out-what-woke-your-computer-from-sleep-mode

Best Regards,
Jim

Macrium Response:
Hello Jim,
In order to investigate the case any further we will need you to submit information by following these steps:
1. Launch Macrium Reflect.
2. Press the following key combination CONTROL + SHIFT + S.
This will present the Support Submission wizard.
3. On the first page of the wizard, please enter your unique support number 8797242462 and ensure that all presented options are selected.
4. On the subsequent pages of the wizard, select the most relevant failed log files and backup definition files to attach to the support case.

5) My Response:
Case information submitted by customer.

6) My Response after nothing for a day after submitting requested file
Have you been able to share my ticket with other Macrium Support staff asking for their input on my issue?

Macrium Response:
Hello Jim,
I have no update for you at this time and will reach out when I have further information.

Macrium Response later:
Hello Jim,
Thank you for your patience.
The following blog post may be worth reviewing in case your scenario matches:
https://blog.macrium.com/is-windows-modern-standby-disrupting-backups-aff466d4602c?category=

It may also be worth implementing the following fixes:
https://winaero.com/add-system-unattended-sleep-timeout-to-power-options-in-windows-10/#:%7E:text=%20To%20System%20Unattended%20Sleep%20Timeout%20to%20Power,use%20the%20following%20command%3A%20powercfg%20-attributes...%20More%20

This is for Windows 10, but it should work fine for Windows 11.
Please let me know how you get on. 

7) My Reply:
Those links refer to Windows 10.
I have performed some testing using Microsoft Task Scheduler to create a command that wakes up 5 minutes before the Macrium scheduler is to run. The command post a time entry to a log file every 15 minutes for 2 hours. In my findings of doing this it does wake up the computer and generates a power-troubleshooter event which can be viewed with a custom event filter.

After the computer wakes up from this scheduled task, Macrium back up is now running.

So it appears the overall problem is that Macrium scheduler has a defect.

Yes I know you wanted me to switch over to change the backups to use Microsoft Task Scheduler - however after the many years I've been using Macrium Scheduler I haven't had issues until now.

I would like to report this defect as a Macrium Scheduler defect.

Please advise your development team to devise monitoring points around the focus of Macrium Scheduler which I will attempt to test for you.

Regards,
Jim

Macrium Reponse:
That is incorrect. The first link I sent you having to do with Modern Standby applies to both Windows 10 and 11.
Source: https://blog.macrium.com/is-windows-modern-standby-disrupting-backups-aff466d4602c?category=

Please give the solutions listed in the article a go and let me know how you get on.

8) My Reply:
That link has NO fix for Windows 11. The fix is only for Windows 10.

Here are the results from the Powercfg a/ command

Can you please help me to translate the values below – so I know what are my next steps?  

9) After several days of no Response I replied
In the article of the link you provided regarding Potential Workarounds can be found this statement “There are conflicting reports on whether the above Registry keys successfully disable Modern Standby and they appear to be hardware dependent”

Source: https://blog.macrium.com/is-windows-modern-standby-disrupting-backups-aff466d4602c?category=

Summary of my thoughts:
It is uncalled for me as a notice Windows 11 Home user be required to perform unproven changes and testing of Macrium Reflect V8.1 regarding the “wake issue” I have reported to Macrium Support.

It is Macrium's management support leadership requirement to engage Microsoft to obtain a table of ALL the rules and conditions including hardware, ect where and when the ability to run a task when a PC is asleep is supported by Microsoft for Windows 11 Home version and not my responsibility.

Best Regards,
Jim

Macrium Reponse:
They closed my ticket without anymore response. It appears they don't want to help

10) My Reply
I posted this in the ticket after it was closed:
Why was this ticket closed? I have yet to see a "Fix" for the Macrium Schedler issue I have reported.

Here are many links from Microsoft regarding wake up and how the coder is responsible for coding the program correctly so the program will wake up.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby-wake-sources

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby?source=recommendations

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/windows-time-service/windows-time-service-tools-and-settings?tabs=config

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/power/system-power-states

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/windows-time-service/windows-time-service-tools-and-settings?tabs=config

If others in the Macrium V8 forum have a fix or solution to get the Macrium Scheduler to wake up from sleep running Windows 11 Home please post the solution here - Thank you for reading my post of this issue. 

This is a Dell Laptop Inspiron 16 7620 2 in 1

Macrium did respond;
Hello Jim,

Thank you for your patience while we investigate this issue.

Apologies, sometimes our system automatically closes tickets by mistake.

I am currently looking to see if there are other registry keys specific to Windows 11, but if you are not comfortable testing out the solution outlined in the blog post, that is fine.

The main issue is that if modern standby is interfering with the wake the computer feature, then we do not have a solution for you at this time that is not outlined in the blog post.

When our developers implement an update that works around this issue, please update the software.

We do not have an exact date for when this will occur, but thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Kind regards,

Edited 2 August 2023 2:30 PM by Fulghumjd
Drac144
Drac144
Master
Very thorough submission of your incident.  I am surprised Macrium closed your ticket before you responded that the problem was fixed.  I have had that happen with other companies - so I guess it may be a standard practice when THEY think the problem is solved.  I imagine many people stop responding after a problem is fixed so waiting for a response in that situation may not work well - thus leaving tickets open where the issue has actually been fixed.

You may have to submit another ticket if you are sure the issue is not related to the fix they suggested.  I have recently seen several issues on this forum that are specific to one computer brand (Dell). Is that the brand of your computer?
Edited 1 August 2023 10:46 PM by Drac144
Fulghumjd
Fulghumjd
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Drac144 - 1 August 2023 10:44 PM
Very thorough submission of your incident.  I am surprised Macrium closed your ticket before you responded that the problem was fixed.  I have had that happen with other companies - so I guess it may be a standard practice when THEY think the problem is solved.  I imagine many people stop responding after a problem is fixed so waiting for a response in that situation may not work well - thus leaving tickets open where the issue has actually been fixed.

You may have to submit another ticket if you are sure the issue is not related to the fix they suggested.  I have recently seen several issues on this forum that are specific to one computer brand (Dell). Is that the brand of your computer?

This is a Dell Laptop Inspiron 16 7620 2 in 1

I did update my post with this info today as well the recent response from Macrium
Drac144
Drac144
Master
I guess Macrium did not dismiss your issue after all.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search