Can't login to a vBoot image

Author
mpooley
Talented Member
Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all
I don't use vBoot much so I need a bit of help.
I have reached the windows login screen on my vBoot image .
Normally I input a PIN at this point, But it's asking for a Password!
I've tried my PIN and a few guesses with some old passwords I used to use but to no avail.
This is an image of my PC that I use every day with a PIN why would I need to input a password and can anyone help me to get past it please?

Thanks

Mike
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
When you set up your PIN, Windows requires a password before it allows PIN usage... keep guessing Wink

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
The PIN, like all other Windows Hello authentication methods such as facial recognition and fingerprint reading, relies on the system’s TPM. That’s the only reason it can be secure to use a 4-digit PIN even though a 4-digit password would be brute forced in no time at all.

The problem is that virtual machines do not have access to the hardware TPM and therefore cannot use Windows Hello authentication methods carried over from your host system. In fact, if you were ever to clear your system TPM or use Reflect to restore your system image onto alternate hardware, you would also find that you could no longer use your PIN or any other Windows Hello authentication method until authenticating again with your password.

If you don’t know your password, you should reset it on your actual system and then make a new image to use for viBoot. But you really do need to remember that password in case of scenarios like I just described
mpooley
mpooley
Talented Member
Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)Talented Member (176 reputation)
jphughan - 22 June 2023 10:56 PM
The PIN, like all other Windows Hello authentication methods such as facial recognition and fingerprint reading, relies on the system’s TPM. That’s the only reason it can be secure to use a 4-digit PIN even though a 4-digit password would be brute forced in no time at all.The problem is that virtual machines do not have access to the hardware TPM and therefore cannot use Windows Hello authentication methods carried over from your host system. In fact, if you were ever to clear your system TPM or use Reflect to restore your system image onto alternate hardware, you would also find that you could no longer use your PIN or any other Windows Hello authentication method until authenticating again with your password.If you don’t know your password, you should reset it on your actual system and then make a new image to use for viBoot. But you really do need to remember that password in case of scenarios like I just described

mpooley
mpooley
Talented Member
Thanks I eventually guessed the right Password ! 
Will keep a note of it for future use.     Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search