Backups not working but destination has space

Author
ply
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I ran a full backup on June 5th, then went on a long trip during which I ran no backups.  Windows updated during this time. Since returning last week, no backups have worked, not even an incremental backup. When I open the log, I can see "No space on destination" adn "Backup aborted! - Timed out waiting for response."  My backup drive has ~800gb free.  I tried modifying so that I purge more of the old backups upon starting, but it still doesn't backup.  I am sure this is a stupid problem, but Macrium Reflect was set up on my laptop by an IT person at my old employer, and I never had to learn to operate it myself. Thank you in advance for any advice/help.
Priscilla
Attachments
macrium.pdf (7 views, 242.00 KB)
macrium 2.pdf (6 views, 142.00 KB)
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
At this point, I'd first concentrate on the Windows Updates.  What updates were installed?  Was it the latest 22H2 Update?  If so, then a 2nd WINRETOOLS partition might have been created.  Which would have changed the geometry structure of the drive.  Depending on what other partitions are on the drive, the wrong partition may now be the Target.

I would edit your backup definitions and check to make sure the same partitions are being backed up as they were before.  Then, I'd check File Explorer and make sure your partitions all have the drive letters they used to have, particularly your Target destination.

Edited 20 June 2023 1:57 PM by dbminter
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
The log indicates that Reflect is attempting to make a Full even though you specified an Incremental. That’s almost certainly because the new Windows 10 update altered your partition layout, which means you can’t keep adding Incrementals to the set that was created prior to the update and associated partition map alteration. And since you don’t appear to be using the option to delete older sets when free space drops below a specified threshold free up space, Reflect isn’t “allowed” to purge your existing backups early to free up space. So you can either enable that option or manually delete some backups — or free up space some other way if possible. But you WILL need to make a new Full now that you’ve installed that Windows feature update before you can make other backups. And given the log’s indication that you’ve got about 1.5 TB to be backed up, the 859 GB currently available might not be enough even after compression.
Edited 20 June 2023 1:57 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
I completely failed to notice there were attachments to the OP's initial post!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search