Problems with Image Guardian

Author
Zantig
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Macrium 8 paid,but beyond assistance.
Windows 10 pro.
I only make complete backup images,quite often I'd say,so ext disks fill up relatively quickly.
I dont want Macrium to delete OLDER backups as I rather keep them selectively.
I have changed my OS 3 times during the past year, going from Windows 10 to double booting 10 and 11,then kept for 6 months windows11 afterward concluding I liked 10 best,so yesterday I redeployed an early Windows 10 image successfully.
I wanted to get rid of most previous double boot and W11 images,but discovered that Mig (not Guardian which I didnt install making the last M update) is preventing me from deleting images directly from the external disk, but allows me to do it with a convoluted manner from inside Macrium,provided the images are in the list and I am acting on the same pc-ext.disk.
Now the question is: how can I free my backups from previous Guardians or present limitations in order to be able to delete any image i want?
Is there a Registry way to do it which is safe?
Thanks.
capair45
capair45
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.6K reputation)
If you want to delete images using Windows File Explorer, you would need to disable Image Guardian on the volume they are stored on.

Windows 10 Home (22H2)  Build 19045.3393 (Desktop)
Windows 11 Home (22H2)  Build 22621.1992  (Laptop)
Macrium Reflect 8.1.7638
Windows Defender

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)
Temporarily disabling Image Guardian is indeed the fastest option.

Zantig
Zantig
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
My dear friends, thanks for replying,but I did state that the Guardian is NOT installed and was NOT installed during my latest Macrium update. I had previously disabled it about a year ago.   The problem is:  when I try to delete, a warning comes up sayin roughly
"Unforeseen error.Impossible to delete the file. Error n. 0X80070510. " and "Backup Full.compression Medium.Password protected No".
I couldnt find anything of value for my instance online,though.
Initially I thought I could erase the images from inside Macrium,but I got only to have the listing disappear while the image file persisted.
I will try to  attach the backups disk to someone else's computer to see what happens,I cant do it as I have Macrium in all my pcs.
Zantig
Zantig
I tried to delete the backups from my laptop which besides running Macrium is also software similar to my main pc and I succeeded!!!
Images were normally and easily deleted without any problem,so the real problem must be laying with   the pc.
The only reason for this situation i can conceive of is this: when I first installed Macrium 8 in pc1 I indeed installed the Guardian with a Windows10 installed.
Later I disabled and removed the guardian.  I kept Macrium installed in windows10 even when dual booting windows11.
Then I removed dual booting and windows10 and kept Windows11 only,transferring Macrium there.
Now I decided to go back to windows10 via  a16 months older image and after updating Macrium and all the rest,all was ok,apart from this impossibility to delete from the ext.HD. 
Perhaps all these changes did the (bad) trick.
 Now I have a second hand solution while the mystery remains.
Edited 26 May 2023 5:28 PM by Zantig
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (21K reputation)
Fyi, MIG and (Macrium) Image Guardian are one and the same. The former is the acronym of the latter. So saying that "MIG (not Guardian) was preventing deletions" wouldn't make sense. Not really sure what happened there, but if the Reflect installer component list did in fact show that Image Guardian wasn't installed and yet you were getting blocked, I guess the next step would have been to completely uninstall Reflect and reinstall it. That isn't as painful as it sounds, because the uninstaller defaults to preserving all items that you'd want to keep if you were going to be reinstalling it afterward anyway.

Zantig
Zantig
jphughan - 26 May 2023 6:53 PM
Fyi, MIG and (Macrium) Image Guardian are one and the same. The former is the acronym of the latter. So saying that "MIG (not Guardian) was preventing deletions" wouldn't make sense. Not really sure what happened there, but if the Reflect installer component list did in fact show that Image Guardian wasn't installed and yet you were getting blocked, I guess the next step would have been to completely uninstall Reflect and reinstall it. That isn't as painful as it sounds, because the uninstaller defaults to preserving all items that you'd want to keep if you were going to be reinstalling it afterward anyway.

Yes I think that's what I'll do,the most obvious and the next step.
I'll come back with the reesult.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search