Failure to Backup after moving definition files

Author
Flyer
Talented Member
Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Foolishly or not, I opted to turn on OneDrive in Win11 to backup my pictures and docs to the cloud this past weekend. After running the upload to the cloud, my Macrium definition XML files moved from /users/Kxxx/documents/reflect to /users/Kxxxx/onedrive/documents/reflect.
In Macrium, all my definition files (5) were missing so I added them back using the new file location. Everything looked okay but my scheduled backups won't run giving me an XML error for not finding my definitions in the old location. If I hover my mouse over the scheduled task, it still shows the location of the XML file in the old location. How do I change it to show the XML file is now in /users/Kxxx/onedrive/documents/reflect? In OneDrive, I've opted to keep all my pics and docs on the PC so it's not trying to find them in the cloud. They are on the PC. What am I missing or doing wrong? Do I have to redo all the scheduling jobs?
Thanks for any help with this.
Flyer
Flyer
Talented Member
Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)Talented Member (102 reputation)
Disregard. I asked BingGPT and it told me what to do. Not sure if there was an easier way, but it said to right click on the definition file and click on schedule. Then click on Finish.. It added the new schedule with the correct XML file location and I deleted the old one. I think this is working ok now.
Edited 15 May 2023 7:33 PM by Flyer
neilf39
neilf39
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Flyer - 15 May 2023 7:10 PM
Disregard. I asked BingGPT and it told me what to do. Not sure if there was an easier way, but it said to right click on the definition file and click on schedule. Then click on Finish.. It added the new schedule with the correct XML file location and I deleted the old one. I think this is working ok now.

I now have the same issue and can't see how to do this and can't follow what you are saying above. Do you have more details?
Flyer
Flyer
Talented Member
I don't remember exactly what I did now but here's what BingGPT says now.

To reestablish your Macrium backups after OneDrive moved the definition files to a new location, you can follow these steps:

Open Macrium Reflect.
Click on the Backup Definition Files tab.
Click on the round green icon with the plus symbol to add a new backup definition file.
Browse to the location of the XML files and pick one to add to the list.
Delete the references to the old ones in the Backup Definition Files tab in Reflect.
Click the big green circle icon with the plus icon in the Backup Definition Files tab in Reflect.
This will allow you to point Reflect to the new location where you copied the XML backup definition files to1

If I remember correctly, it was easier than that. Try opening the Definition files and right click on schedule and after going through the steps, I think it should add the new schedule correctly but you'll still have to remove the old one. Let me know if any of this works for you.

neilf39
neilf39
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Flyer - 24 August 2023 3:16 PM
I don't remember exactly what I did now but here's what BingGPT says now.

To reestablish your Macrium backups after OneDrive moved the definition files to a new location, you can follow these steps:

Open Macrium Reflect.
Click on the Backup Definition Files tab.
Click on the round green icon with the plus symbol to add a new backup definition file.
Browse to the location of the XML files and pick one to add to the list.
Delete the references to the old ones in the Backup Definition Files tab in Reflect.
Click the big green circle icon with the plus icon in the Backup Definition Files tab in Reflect.
This will allow you to point Reflect to the new location where you copied the XML backup definition files to1

If I remember correctly, it was easier than that. Try opening the Definition files and right click on schedule and after going through the steps, I think it should add the new schedule correctly but you'll still have to remove the old one. Let me know if any of this works for you.

Great, many thanks. Obvious when you know!
JK
JK
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)
BingGPT's answer contains redundant steps, and is evidently a mash-up of two comments plagiarized from @Gork (here and here).

Flyer
Flyer
Talented Member
JK - 24 August 2023 5:21 PM
BingGPT's answer contains redundant steps, and is evidently a mash-up of two comments plagiarized from @Gork (here and here).

As I said, I didn't think the current BingGPT was what I had to do. It was not that complicated.
I may have imported the definitions from the old location to show them in the onedrive folder and then just right clicked schedule and paged through to "finish". This should have regenerated new backup schedules and then I deleted the old ones.
I really don't remember the exact steps I used but it wasn't too complex. Macrium doesn't address this in their on line manual.
JK
JK
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.4K reputation)
My comment was not directed at you as much as it was a commentary on the "intelligence" of AI chatbots.

Flyer
Flyer
Talented Member
JK - 24 August 2023 7:45 PM
My comment was not directed at you as much as it was a commentary on the "intelligence" of AI chatbots.

I have to agree with you on that! Sorry I misconstrued what you said. I hope I gave him enough info to get it working. It really was tough on me to figure it out.
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
User confusion about Backup Definition Files (BDF) and Reflect's use of them happens often enough that I have developed this view of the process:  
  • When you create a new BDF, you're given the option to save it (and even change the path to the folder it's saved in).  You don't have to use Reflect's default folder path.
  • Whatever you choose for the BDF name and the full path is REGISTERED with Reflect and it will appear in the Create Backups -> Definition Files list.
  • When you create a schedule, the path AND the name of the BDF are captured in the scheduler entry, among other data.
  • When you move or delete the BDF, any and every scheduled execuation(s) for that BDF will fail.
  • You should delete any scheduled backup entry that refers to the old BDF from the Create Backups -> Scheduled Backups list,
  • If you still have the original BDF but it has a new name or if it's at a new location then you must "re-register" the new name and/or path of the BDF by adding (importing) it to the Definition Files list, 
  • If you generate a new BDF and save it, the new name and path will be registered for you.
  • You must then generate new scheduler entries for this newly registered BDF. 
I hope this removes any confusion about the process.

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search