Windows 11 Hibernation Problem

Author
curious
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Windows 11 22H2 OS Build 22621.1555 - (although I have experienced this issue from the first day of install of WIN11 on earlier builds). I am running the current build of Macrium v8, with a paid license.

I have Macrium (v8) set up to wake the computer and run it's daily backup early in the morning and then hibernate (suspend).

It does that as designed, but when I come and wake the machine up in the morning, on the lock screen I see first the task notification that the backup has started and then one that it successfully completed and then several seconds later it suspends the machine again.

This is really annoying. I love your product and it has saved me numerous times, but this is a real headache. It never did this on Windows 10 and I never got anything but the completion notification on it. I think there is a correlation between me seeing the task started and completed messages and the extra suspend, for it suspends seconds after the second notification saying it has completed the backup. Does Event viewer log what put the machine to sleep? I know I can easily get what woke the PC from sleep, but can't seem to find an event that would indicate  Macrium is responsible for the extra suspend situation - nothing is logged from Macrium.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
From an elevated command prompt, enter powercfg /SYSTEMPOWERREPORT.  It will tell you what's happening.  Also, powercfg /A will tell you the power states.  If it says S0 Idle is the only state, you've been bit by Modern or Connected Standby that some laptop manufacturers have forced on us to make wakeup more like our smartphones.  I've only been able to recover some of the previous ability with registry hacks. If you have the Reflect Backup Definition File/Advanced Option/Shutdown set like below, you might find that hibernate is no longer supported.

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

Edited 12 April 2023 12:27 PM by Dan Danz
curious
curious
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Dan Danz - 12 April 2023 12:23 PM
From an elevated command prompt, enter powercfg /SYSTEMPOWERREPORT.  It will tell you what's happening.  Also, powercfg /A will tell you the power states.  If it says S0 Idle is the only state, you've been bit by Modern or Connected Standby that some laptop manufacturers have forced on us to make wakeup more like our smartphones.  I've only been able to recover some of the previous ability with registry hacks. If you have the Reflect Backup Definition File/Advanced Option/Shutdown set like below, you might find that hibernate is no longer supported.

Very interesting, thanks for that tip. Is there anyway I can clear all of the data from that report so I can figure out what is going on? I don't have the messed up C-States/S0 sleep state issue with BIOS or anything.

The following sleep states are available on this system:

Standby (S3)
  Hibernate
  Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
  Standby (S1)
   The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep
   The hypervisor does not support this standby state.

That's some great data, but it would be nice if I could clear it so it was easy to see what put it right back to sleep - so far all I can see is Kernel-API which could be anything.

Thanks in advance, we are off and running!

Douglas
curious
curious

No, although the JOB is set to suspend, that box in Reflect Defaults and Settings is NOT checked.
Dan Danz
Dan Danz
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.7K reputation)
curious - 12 April 2023 4:34 PM

No, although the JOB is set to suspend, that box in Reflect Defaults and Settings is NOT checked.
Then,  I guess I'm sorry that I'm out of suggestions.  I suggest you open a ticket with Reflect Support

L.W. (Dan) Danz, Overland Park KS
Reflect v8.1.7847+ on Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3085+ | Reflect v8.1.7853+ on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3996+
Reflect v8.1.7784+ on 2 systems Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.3803+

curious
curious
Hey thanks for your help, will do!
curious
curious
Support associate logged into my computer and set the global suspend option in the program. No shocker, it still wakes from an interrupt (USB mouse or keyboard) and then seconds later before I can get my password in it goes back to sleep.

So no change.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search