Schedules not starting and others

Author
OzBoz
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Good morning all,

First up I am not very computer savvy, but this problem has been driving me nuts for the past several months.
It started with an intermittent fault in the schedule not starting on time.  I put up with this for a while with a workaround that required me to sit and watch at start time, then jump in and start it manually if required.  This problem was/is the subject of a support ticket, but any suggestions given made no difference.  Support even used Teamviewer, had a look around and made a few twiddles, of which I have no idea.  The result was the same. intermittent fault on starts of schedule.

As stated at the start, I am no programming expert, and therefore keep my fingers well away from under the bonnet, and I rely on the experts for that kind of intervention.  Now, out of the blue, I have no access to my Macrium Reflect app.  Clicking on the desktop shortcut icon, or reflect.exe in the Macrium folder, does absolutely nothing.  I have even tried deleting and reinstalling the program to no avail, but I suspect I may have left behind some information that is just reloading the problem. Support is aware of this new development, but so far no response.  My disk image is approaching 1.7 TB and I haven't been able to perform any backups for a week now, so I'm getting a bit antsy.  

I am half expecting this problem to be insoluble, or at least to exist for some time to come, so I have been looking around for a replacement.  This program, when first installed, worked flawlessly, and did everything I expected of it, so I am very loath to junk it, but junk it I might have to.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has experienced these problems, and any measures to fix them.

Cheers
Brian Bosley
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Macrium Reflect v8. (latest - downloaded Saturday 12th)

Gracie's Dad
Gracie's Dad
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a similar problem on one of the 5 machines that I run scheduled jobs on.  I have two drive image jobs and two folder backup jobs that are scheduled to run consecutively.  Randomly, sometimes the jobs don't run until over an hour after they're supposed to and then not necessarily in the order they are scheduled to run.  Strangely, the Last Run Time on the Scheduled Backups tab indicates that they ran as scheduled but the logs for each job show the actual start and end times as much later when they actually ran.  I send an email notiification at the end of each job so I notice when the emails don't show up on time.
Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
Which scheduler are you using, the Macrium scheduler or the Windows scheduler?  Your comment suggests that the scheduler is starting at the correct time, but there is some issue/delay preventing Reflect from actually starting up until much later. There could be some conditions (especially if you are using the Windows task scheduler) that are causing that delay.
Edited 13 February 2023 7:19 PM by Drac144
Gracie's Dad
Gracie's Dad
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Drac144 - 13 February 2023 7:19 PM
Which scheduler are you using, the Macrium scheduler or the Windows scheduler?  Your comment suggests that the scheduler is starting at the correct time, but there is some issue/delay preventing Reflect from actually starting up until much later. There could be some conditions (especially if you are using the Windows task scheduler) that are causing that delay.

I'm using the Macrium Scheduler.
Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
A suggestion you should try.  I had exactly this problem under v8.0 and v8.1... very difficult to nail it down.  Turned out it was not a scheduling problem, it was a disk wake-up problem.  I know it sounds strange but I found it.  I would suggest trying the following and post your results.

Under W10, go to your SETTINGS and search for "Power & Sleep Settings."  Scroll down in the RIGHT pane and select "Additional Power Settings."  In the "Power Options" window presented, select "Change Plan Settings" in your power plan in use.  In the "Edit Plan Settings" window, select "Change Advanced Power Settings." Under the "Hard Disk/Turn off hard disk after" option, set the value to ZERO (your HDDs/SSDs will not power down with this setting at ZERO).

When I performed the above, all my delayed scheduling issues disappeared, when I reset the timer, they all came back.  It matters not which scheduler your using (Windows or Macrium), the problem occurs using both.

I know not what the issue is, but it appears to be device and/or driver related.  Let us know what happens when you try this (you can always change the "Turn off hard disk after" setting  back if you see no results).

Edited 14 February 2023 2:12 AM by Froggie
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
I had schedule timing issues at one point years ago.  Turns out it was caused by ZoneAlarm Free Firewall.  Once it was uninstalled, schedules resumed fine after a specific Reflect update.

Do you have any third party firewall or antivirus solutions installed other than the Windows defaults?

Gracie's Dad
Gracie's Dad
dbminter - 14 February 2023 3:03 AM
I had schedule timing issues at one point years ago.  Turns out it was caused by ZoneAlarm Free Firewall.  Once it was uninstalled, schedules resumed fine after a specific Reflect update.

Do you have any third party firewall or antivirus solutions installed other than the Windows defaults?

I have Macrium and Bitdefender Internet Security running on 5 PCs.  I only have the intermittent scheduled task problem on one of them.  I will try the suggestion about changing the power settings for the hard drives and see if it corrects the problem.  Since it only occurs randomly, it might take a few weeks to know if it fixes the problem for good.  Thanks for the suggestion.
OzBoz
OzBoz
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
With respect, this thread has been hijacked by a poster with a different problem to mine.
My problem is, that for some time now (since v8 I believe but can't prove it) my scheduled backups have been failing to start at all, and I have been monitoring the start times and intervening manually to effect a start.

I have ESET Internet Security and Malwarebytes Premium which have been present since I started using Macrium Reflect v7 with no problems at all until recently, suggesting to me, that the v8 upgrade is somehow involved.  That suggestion has been been partly justified by the fact that, again, out of the blue, with no input from me, I have lost all use of the program.  I cannot start the program from my desktop shortcut, or the .exe file in the Macrium folder  I have even tried a full and clean uninstall and a installed a new download.  Still nothing.

Froggie's suggestion sounds promising, but unfortunately, With no access to the  program, like any other suggestion, it can't be tested.

I've downloaded another similar backup program in the meantime, to cover the period I'll be without Reflect. I just can't afford to be without backup.  I t's too important to me.

Cheers

Brian B

Joe Allen
Joe Allen
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)Macrium Representative (706 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi @OzBoz

Can you please open a support ticket using the link https://www.macrium.com/support so we can collect some further information?

Kind Regards

Joe A

Macrium Support Team

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

Froggie
Froggie
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.8K reputation)
Froggie - 14 February 2023 2:10 AM
A suggestion you should try.  I had exactly this problem under v8.0 and v8.1... very difficult to nail it down.  Turned out it was not a scheduling problem, it was a disk wake-up problem.  I know it sounds strange but I found it.  I would suggest trying the following and post your results.

Under W10, go to your SETTINGS and search for "Power & Sleep Settings."  Scroll down in the RIGHT pane and select "Additional Power Settings."  In the "Power Options" window presented, select "Change Plan Settings" in your power plan in use.  In the "Edit Plan Settings" window, select "Change Advanced Power Settings." Under the "Hard Disk/Turn off hard disk after" option, set the value to ZERO (your HDDs/SSDs will not power down with this setting at ZERO).

When I performed the above, all my delayed scheduling issues disappeared, when I reset the timer, they all came back.  It matters not which scheduler your using (Windows or Macrium), the problem occurs using both.

I know not what the issue is, but it appears to be device and/or driver related.  Let us know what happens when you try this (you can always change the "Turn off hard disk after" setting  back if you see no results).

Just to clarify, in my case, the schedules said they started at the proper time but the LOGs showed them starting anywhere from 5-150min later... all eventually completed except the ones scheduled during the delayed startup period.  I still have no idea what the exact relationship is between the disks (the source in question was an NvME SSD) and the Macrium/MicroSloth schedulers... but the change described above definitely turns the problem ON & OFF.

In my only iteration with SUPPORT over this issue, whenever I did find a scheduler hung, whenever I opened the Task Manager to see what was going on, the problem immediately disappeared and the delayed scheduled operation went on to complete.  It looks like the delay occurs when REFLECT is checking the status of the disks (hung during the CHECK) and once Task Manager was run, that CHECK completed and the process continued from the hung state.

Edited 14 February 2023 1:52 PM by Froggie
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search