Help in understanding the scheduling needed (what does this mean: Incremental specified but no set...

Author
lakises
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, I'm a new user of Macrium Reflect and I would really appreciate some help in understanding the somewhat weird behaviour of the program during my first days of using it.

I installed Reflect on my Windows 10 computer, defined the basic backup procedure I want to use and ran the first full backup (right after defining the details of the backup).
All this went fine without any errors.

I set the full backup to run every 3 months (at 11 AM on the first Monday of the month, staring in April), differential once a week (at 10  AM) and incremental once a day (at 10 AM).
I ran the very first backup (after defining it) on Monday this week, at 11:45 AM. I assumed that since the next full backup was scheduled for April, the next automatic backup would be either a differential one or an incremental one (I don't know which, but I guess incremental). 
I started my computer on Tuesday after 11 AM, and got a notification that Reflect is going to run a backup task (cannot remember the exact message).
I soon got the following error message: "Backup aborted! - None of the specified backup locations could be written to"
I presume this failing to write to the disk has something to do with the fact that Reflect started its work before my external HD was ready to be used. If this behaviour repeats, I will try to delay the start of the scheduled tasks from the scheduling options and hope it will help. But right now I'm not (yet?) asking help for that problem. What got me confused is that according to the log file, Reflect tried again to make a full backup!
The log states this: "Backup Type: Full - Incremental specified but no set to append to"
What does this mean? And why did it try to make again a full backup, when I just made one the day before and the next full one is actually scheduled for April?
Any help would be very welcome!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Differential backups must be created relative to a Full. And Incrementals must be created relative to either a Full, a Differential, or an Incremental. So Reflect can only create those backup types when there is a pre-existing backup that it can be “appended to”. In your case, Reflect didn’t see any backups (because it didn’t see the destination), and if there are no existing backups, it wouldn’t be possible to create the requested Differential or Incremental — so Reflect deliberately adapted to creating a Full. And it noted this in the log, along with the fact that you had requested an Incremental as well as the reason that wasn’t possible.

If your backup destination had been available, Reflect would have created the requested backup. But for example if the destination had been available but you had manually deleted all existing backups, and the next scheduled backup was a Differential, then Reflect would have automatically switched to creating a Full for the same reason that a Diff/Inc wouldn’t have even possible in that scenario, and Reflect assumes you’d rather have an unexpected backup type than no backup at all.
Edited 8 February 2023 9:56 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
One other thing I’ll add is that specifically for image backups, a change to the selected disk(s)/partition(s) selected for backup, or a change to the size/layout of the existing partitions can also trigger a mandatory new Full. And some Windows feature release updates alter the partition layout to create a new and/or larger Windows Recovery hidden partition. So there may be occasional times where you do get an unexpected Full.
lakises
lakises
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Thanks for the clear response, makes sense. But, embarrassing.... I have Reflect 8 and I noticed that for some reason I accidentally posted to Reflect 7 thread. But I presume the same principles apply also with 8, or are there major differences in this regard?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Happy to help! Same principles apply in V7 and V8 here. Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search