Suggestion: add installed applications to advanced

Author
maw62
Talented Member
Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Suggestion : under 'Advanced' add a [new] item, reading something like: "Installed applications"
When creating an image Macrium to 'read/import/display' a list of installed applications.
Right now it is unknown which applications is included in which image file.
Personally, I write this down somewhere and try to add info, as much as possible to the image filename.

Example: when setting up Windows, I create a 'base'-image file.
Then start installing applications.
After each -say- 3, or 4 applications I create a new image so I can revert to the previous image when something goes wrong.
Whilst creating images, I add the names of the applications to the image filename.
So I would get something like
W7-01-base (being a clean Windows plus updates, but no applications at all)
W7-02-01 plus app1-app2-app3
W7-03-02 plus app4 app5 app6
W7-04-03 plus app7 app8 app9
etc.
For me, whilst having no alternatives, this is the only way to keep track of what installed application is included in which image file.

A quick display the list of installed applications under 'Restore' - browse image, select the image in the Backup Selection and then
tag new option [Display applications], or under tab [Log] ?
(option to hide all Windows stuff, i.e. show non-Windows applications only)

=

Dreamer2004
Dreamer2004
Talented Member
Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)Talented Member (175 reputation)
It is possible to add a comment for each incremental backup that follows the first full-backup, maybe this helps:
Right click -> 'Run'. The options are 'Prompt' > 'Full', Differential' or 'Incremental'. If you select 'Prompt' you can edit the comment for the backup you are about to run.

http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13334&SearchTerms=name

Edited 19 March 2015 9:55 AM by Dreamer2004
maw62
maw62
Talented Member
Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)Talented Member (168 reputation)
I know about the option of comments. I run an uninstaller, then export installed applications to a text and paste the list into the comments box.
But my idea is that Macrium would -optionally- be doing this automatically.
No 'workaround' of manual adding.
=

Tim Cowell
Tim Cowell
Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)Junior Member (52 reputation)
My personal view is that this is outside the scope of the Reflect software.

Edited 19 March 2015 5:43 PM by tim
Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
I agree with Tim. An image backup is not looking at the content of a partition.  You can do an image backup of a non-Windows partition.

While it would not help a lot when looking at the name of the image file.  After you do a restore you can go to the add/remove programs feature and see just what is installed in that version.  You could use a text editor/word processor to save the programs currently installed info along with the name and date of the backup file. Not very slick but it would address your need.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search