Manual incremental backup script

Author
Davcbr
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would like to create a backup script that could be run by my wife by using a desktop link to run this script.
I find that Macrium seems to be structured for scheduled backups;  I may be missing something here. 

What I require is the ability to plug in a USB drive, double-click a link that will then cause an incremental backup according to parameters set for a particular full backup on the external hard drive.  It needs to be simple.  No "right-click and run as administrator"  I want to be able to tell her to "plug in this drive, run that 'program', and when the computer shuts off, remove the external drive".
Is this feasible?
Thanx
DaveC

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Open Reflect, go to the Definition Files tab, right-click the definition file for the backup job of interest, click Create Desktop Shortcut, and choose to have the shortcut you’re creating perform an Incremental. Click OK, and on your desktop will be a shortcut that, when double-clicked, will perform an Incremental.

Edited 28 January 2023 4:10 AM by jphughan
Davcbr
Davcbr
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
OK.  I have a full backup of a Windows 11 system on a portable HD.  Upon opening Reflect, The current tab is "Local Disks" which show the portable HD containing the full backup I did two weeks ago.  When I select Definition Files, there is only  directions on how a definition file is created with a new image.  Where is the definition used for the current backup?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
When you step through the image backup wizard and click Finish, you have the option to save the job you just defined as an XML file. Choose that option, then specify a different name if desired, and click OK. Now you’ll see it in the Definition Files tab.

If you already have a backup and want to retroactively create a definition file, just select the same options you originally did. And you can uncheck “Run backup now”.
Edited 2 February 2023 9:58 PM by jphughan
janvdweyer
janvdweyer
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Save the following as .VBS file:

WScript.Quit Backup("""C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\ReflectBin.exe"" -e -w -inc ""C:\Users\janvdweyer\OneDrive\Documents\Reflect\Backup_DEV02.xml"" -g")
     '  Change the XML file into your XML definition file

Function Backup(ByRef strCmdLine)

' 0 Everything OK, 1 Backup error, 2 XML validation error
        Backup = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell").Run(strCmdLine, 1, True)

End Function

Just double clicking on the .VBS will start an incremental backup
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search