I wanted to post this here as it may help others in future. I have a new Dell XPS 13 9315 2-in-1. The HDD is soldered to the motherboard and it uses a relatively new intel controller. I believe this issue will apply to many computers using 11th and 12th generation Intel chipsets. I had a lot of trouble getting it to work in the WINPE recovery mode. I tried loading the drivers when creating the bootable media via the macrium software but it didn't work.
My solution - although not so elegant was:
1. Create your recovery media via Macrium
2. Copy the intel storage driver and devcon executable to a usb drive
3. Boot the Macrium recovery media
4. Click the button near the bottom of the screen to open a command prompt window
5. Navigate to the directory with the storage driver and run pnputil -a *.inf
it should say it successfully loaded the driver
6. Navigate to the directory with devcon
7. Run devcon find *
8. Get the hardware ID of the storage controller. Mine was near the bottom of the list.
9. Run devcon disable <HWID of controller>
10. Run devcon enable <HWID of controller>
Your disk drive should now be available.
To test the disk is available rundiskpartshow disk
see your disk listed
to exit out of diskpace
Close the command prompt window and continue your recovery.Download the 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Application' for your machine from the dell website.
I used https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER08281538M/6/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-and-Application_MK0Y4_WIN64_22.214.171.1246_A02_04.EXE
Or go to the Dell Support page and look for storage drivers for your machine.Download Devcon
Download 787bee96dbd26371076b37b13c405890.cab, extract the file filbad6e2cce5ebc45a401e19c613d0a28f and rename it to devcon.exe
Link to cab: https://download.microsoft.com/download/1/4/0/140EBDB7-F631-4191-9DC0-31C8ECB8A11F/wdk/Installers/787bee96dbd26371076b37b13c405890.cab
Source of information in case you need a different version:https://superuser.com/questions/1002950/quick-method-to-install-devcon-exeDownload Dell WinPE drivershttps://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-au/000108642/winpe-10-driver-packhttps://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-au/000108642/winpe-10-driver-pack
This is a larger set of drivers in case you need a different driver for your machine.
I spent a few hours sorting this out. Hope if helps. Good luck with your recovery.