Add a 1-step user data migration

Author
Abelar
Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I wish that there was a 1-step user data migration that would replicate Documents, Pictures, etc. from a source computer on a destination computer. The 2 computers can be connected via an Ethernet cross-over cable, LAN, etc.

I myself feel the need for user data migration from an old Windows 10 computer to a new Windows 11 computer at the push of a button. There will likely be more users with the same need as the general availability of Windows 11 was 13 months ago.

The 1-step user data migration would be an improvement of the 2-step File and Folder backup and restore. In particular, instead of 2 separate verifications of each of the 2 steps, there would only be a single verification of the one step.
Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
There are programs available (possibly some free ones) that will do this for you.

You can make this MUCH easier on yourself if you store all your personal data (or as much as possible on a separate drive or in separate folders on your main drive so it is only necessary to move those folders (or folder) between computers to move all your personal files.  If you do that, you can use Reflect File and Folder to backup that data and restore it on the new computer.  I think, however, you are asking for a utility that will do that in one step without the need to do backups/restores.  As I said, above there are programs that do that. 

The issue is: Reflect has no idea what files/folders/drives you want moved.  It does not know what is important to move to a new computer and what is not. If you are going to tell Reflect, you might as well do it yourself.  You say, the computers are connected so you can just use a file manager (like Windows Explorer or others) to move the information. 

NOTE: you CANNOT move programs between computers - they have to be reinstalled on the new computer. 

Another option (which is what I do) is to backup your ENTIRE old computer as an image, then restore it to the new computer. There are some issues with that process - like incorrect drivers, but those issues can be resolved in less than an hour if you have all the drivers for the new computer. You probably should update your old  computer's Windows to the version you want BEFORE doing the move.  It may go a bit smoother - but it is not necessary.  You will have to deal with Windows license issues doing things that way, but that is usually not a major issue.  Worst case you would have to buy a new license for the new computer.

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
I don't use Documents at all for various reasons.  Primary among them is to keep the Windows partition backup as small and fast as possible.  So, I've got several partitions on a USB HDD devoted to different things, but that could be viewed as overkill, where a single partition could work.  Again, though, I'm trying to keep that partition size down.  So, if I need to backup a few sound files, I've also not got, say, a digital camera's card full of pictures also taking up some space that may not have changed.

Abelar
Abelar
Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)
Drac144 - 18 November 2022 9:49 PM
Another option (which is what I do) is to backup your ENTIRE old computer as an image, then restore it to the new computer. There are some issues with that process - like incorrect drivers, but those issues can be resolved in less than an hour if you have all the drivers for the new computer. You probably should update your old  computer's Windows to the version you want BEFORE doing the move.  It may go a bit smoother - but it is not necessary.  You will have to deal with Windows license issues doing things that way, but that is usually not a major issue.  Worst case you would have to buy a new license for the new computer.
Oh wow @Drac144 I really like what you do! Let me rephrase your approach so I can understand it better.

So, I make a mrimg file (full backup) of my old Windows 10 computer > I restore the mrimg file to my new computer > I have a new Windows 10 computer > I update the drivers via Device Manager which is not a real issue.

I could buy the new computer with Windows 10 pre-installed to avoid any Windows licensing issues.

However, I can see an issue with my licensed apps (like Macrium Reflect) as it would be an installation on a new computer. So, I would need to deactivate the license on the old computer and activate the license on the new computer. Is that what you did?

Moreover, I have apps that needs to be configured (like Outlook) Are the settings of such configured apps still correct on the new Windows 10 computer or do I have to tweak? What is your experience?

I would have plenty of time to upgrade the new Windows 10 computer to Windows 11 (for free) Sounds like a good plan, please comment!

Drac144
Drac144
Master
Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)Master (1.7K reputation)
Abelar,

If you get a new computer with a Win 10 license, than you can use that if there is a Win license issue when you migrate the windows.

Yes, you would need to deactivate your Reflect license AFTER the move (not before in case you run into problems).  I suppose you could have license problems with other software - but that was rare for me.  Most software (including MS Office) worked just fine after the move.  I use an old version of Outlook (and the rest of MS Office) and it has been migrated twice (from Win XP to Win 7, then from Win 7 to Win 10) with no issues. BUT YOUR experience may be DIFFERENT.  However if things do not work and are not easily fixed you still have everything on your old PC and can try a different method.  I would do a backup of your New PC BEFORE you do the migration (you can use a rescue disk or a trial version of Reflect).

I am considering a new computer and plan to do that same migration plan If/When I get it. 

Again, there is no guarantee that your experience will be as pain-free as mine.  And, if it is not, I don't think I can help much.  So if you are confident that you can handle issues - or at least restore the new computer back to factory conditions and use a different migration method you may want to pass on my approach.  Especially if you do not have a lot of programs that would need to be restored.  I have about 70 installed programs that would have to be reinstalled if I did not use my approach.  Some of those programs (like Adobe Acrobat 8) may not install properly on Win 10.  So for me it is worth it try the "easy way" first.

Abelar
Abelar
Thanks for the comments, it is at least an approach worth considering
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search