Drive Letters Assigned

Author
capair45
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This morning, I opened File Explorer to view the disk drives and was surprised to find my Dell Recovery Partitions (2) listed with drive letters assigned.  Upon further investigation, I find the same drive letter assignment showing within the Macrium GUI.  I'm not quite sure how this happened but I'm guessing there should be no drive letters assigned (there weren't in the past anyway).  Can (should) this drive letter assignment be removed?  If so, how would I do that?

Dave...

Windows 10 Home (1909)
Macrium Reflect 7.2.4744
Windows Defender

Attachments
This PC.JPG (206 views, 39.00 KB)
Drive Letters.JPG (210 views, 75.00 KB)
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Dave

Thanks for posting.

Annoyingly, Dell automatically assigns drive letters X and Y to certain recovery partitions such as 'PBR Image' and 'WINRETOOLS'. Macrium Reflect knows about these and will handle imaging with the letters assigned. These drives are very difficult to permanently unmount as Dell appears to be running a service that mounts them when Windows starts.

Kind regards

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

capair45
capair45
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)Proficient Member (314 reputation)
Thanks Nick for that info!  Would you have any idea why this just happened?  I've had this Dell machine for almost two years now and I've never seen those two partitions appearing as disk drives until today.  Also, I've had Macrium Reflect installed for a few weeks and hadn't noticed the drive assignments there also (possibly I could have overlooked them - the letters are tiny).  It all just happened overnight.  No big deal I suppose if, as you say, Macrium handles this automatically.

Thanks again.

Dave...

Windows 10 Home (1909)
Macrium Reflect 7.2.4744
Windows Defender

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Dave

We believe it's caused by Dells own backup and recovery program that can't backup any partitions without a drive letter so it assigns X and Y.  Have you run this program lately?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 17 March 2015 7:44 PM by Nick
capair45
capair45
Proficient Member
I believe that Dell may have recently upgraded their backup and recovery software.  Prior to this, I have only used the installed Dell features to create a recovery disk.  Although I haven't manually started the backup/recovery program, I believe it was running automatically within the last few days.  When I open the program it shows that backups have been stored on the C drive.  Perhaps that what this is all about.  I have a Dell laptop which is rarely used and also has Macrium installed.  I'll take a look at that and see what's happening there.

Dave...

Windows 10 Home (1909)
Macrium Reflect 7.2.4744
Windows Defender

capair45
capair45
Proficient Member
I booted up the Dell laptop (W7).  It does not have Dell Backup & Recovery installed.  Looking at the Macrium GUI, there are no drive letters assigned to the recovery partition.  Next, I downloaded and installed Dell Backup & Recovery.  After rebooting, I launched Macrium and examined the GUI disk list.  I found that the recovery partition had been assigned the letter "Y".

I feel this must be associated with the Dell software.  As long as the machine functions normally and I can image disks and restore properly then I'm happy.

Dave...

Windows 10 Home (1909)
Macrium Reflect 7.2.4744
Windows Defender

capair45
capair45
Proficient Member
Follow up: This morning, a disk image was scheduled but would not complete as an error in the Master File Table was found. Running the chkdsk utility repaired the error(s). Once repaired, the disk image completed normally. After imaging, the 2-partitions were no longer displayed in File Explorer and checking the Macrium GUI the drive letters had been removed. It appears all is back to normal.

Thanks again to those who helped!                  

Windows 10 Home (1909)
Macrium Reflect 7.2.4744
Windows Defender

capair45
capair45
Proficient Member
FWIW, I posted in the Dell User forum regarding drive letters also.  I received this message from a Dell employee,

"Our development team is aware of the issue and has done some work on it. Should be mostly addressed in the next update to v1.8.x.x which will be pushed anytime.  It's not a background process running or anything like that.  Just some OS working that act funny under certain circumstances.  Even if you are not using Dell Backup and Recovery, you should take the next update to help address this if it concerns you."

Dave...

Windows 10 Home (1909)
Macrium Reflect 7.2.4744
Windows Defender

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore