How to get more error information on consolidation failure

Author
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I get this error as soon as a full backup accrues enough incremental to require consolidation. In this case,the backup would eventually add an incremental to newer full, so the consolidation of the older is gratuitous.  I can view and verify the subject of the complaint.  So how do I get more error data.

Rules will be applied to all matching backup sets in the destination folder
Full:Retain 2 full images
Linked incremental and differential images will also be deleted
Backup Sets:2 sets found
Nothing to delete
Incremental:Retain 3 incremental images
Create a Synthetic Full backup if possible.
Incremental Backups:3 found
Consolidation:Merging '260538BEB466828C-00-00.mrimg' with '260538BEB466828C-01-01.mrimg'
Failed: Failed to load 'H:\Hopi-reflect\260538BEB466828C-02-02.mrimg' Unknown Error
An error has occurred when reading file 'H:\Hopi-reflect\260538BEB466828C-02-02.mrimg'
Process failed
Consolidation recovery failed

L. W. "Dan" Danz, Overland Park KS  

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)Expert (887 reputation)
It could be permission issues.  Are you using the same user when checking the file manually as is being used in the scheduled backup?

Lee
Lee
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (215 reputation)Macrium Representative (215 reputation)Macrium Representative (215 reputation)Macrium Representative (215 reputation)Macrium Representative (215 reputation)Macrium Representative (215 reputation)Macrium Representative (215 reputation)Macrium Representative (215 reputation)Macrium Representative (215 reputation)Macrium Representative (215 reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi DanDanz,

Thanks for posting,

Please can you submit a support ticket so that we can help you identify the reason for the "Unknown Error" response reported.

http://www.macrium.com/support.aspx#tickets

Kind regards,

Macrium Support

Next Webinar

L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)Proficient Member (353 reputation)
Lee - 24 March 2016 3:03 PM
Please can you submit a support ticket so that we can help you identify the reason for the "Unknown Error" response reported.

Okay ... but one problem at a time ...
I'm currently unable to do any backups because Reflect is hung up doing a clone from my backup drive to a second drive is taking more than a day to 1.20TB. I think it has a lot to do with the ports being used on my AHCI controller.  I've managed to go from 5-7MBs to 23-28MBs.   It says 3% done in the first hour -- I'm going to see what Robocopy does. 

L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Proficient Member
Drac144 - 20 March 2016 7:01 PM
It could be permission issues.  Are you using the same user when checking the file manually as is being used in the scheduled backup?

All permissions look good .. including OWNER/CREATOR.  But the target folder was originally created by Windows 7 backup, so I have renamed it and created a new one in its place.  Currently waiting for enough cycles to see if it fixes the problem.    Thanks for the tip. 

L. W. "Dan" Danz
L. W. "Dan" Danz
Proficient Member
Lee - 24 March 2016 3:03 PM
Case 65608, 3 bugs reported:
1) Insufficient detail in failure error message (Unknown error)
2) Consolidating failure - can't load 00 when attempting to merge 01 incremental.  
3) Subsequent consolidation attempts ignore the fact that the first attempt failed, thus try to attempt to merge 00 with the -02 incremental, ignoring that 01 incremental failed to be merged. 

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.8K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Hi Dan 

We believe that your 32 bit system suffered an 'Out of memory' error during consolidation and we have replied to your support case with some steps to take to confirm and resolve this . Please can you action the steps and reply to the case to let us know how you get on. 

We do try to capture and report, in detail, all errors during image processing but unfortunately the 'Out of memory' error wasn't trapped in the consolidation logic. Sincere apologies for this. It will be rectified in the next public update of Macrium Reflect. 

Subsequent consolidation attempts ignore the fact that the first attempt failed, thus try to attempt to merge 00 with the -02 incremental, ignoring that 01 incremental failed to be merged.

The consolidation logic always includes relevant intermediate files when merging between Incrementals or merging a Full with an Incremental.  It couldn't do it any other way.  We will update the text in the log from 'Merging: xxxxx.mring' with xxxxxx.mrimg' to 'Merging: xxxxx.mring' to xxxxxx.mrimg'.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search