Create defenition file from scratch?

Author
Mintmag
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
So I created a full image and then created a few differentials from that that image. I did not create a definition file however. How do I go about making one to use with this family.

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.7K reputation)
I'm not sure it would work, but what may is to just point the destination image file to the location and file name where it's already set up.  Again, I don't know if this would work as the first execution might create a new Full instead and give the file a name with a numeric change to it to reflect a new Full.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Step through the wizard and select the same options in terms of source partitions and any customized Advanced Options that you previously used for making the existing backups. (Check the job log of one of the existing backups if you need help here.) Click Finish and choose the option to save the settings as an XML definition file, but NOT the option to run a backup now, since that will create a Full. Then try using that new definition file to make a new Differential or Incremental. If the activity window indicates that Reflect is in fact making the desired backup type, congratulations. If on the other hand it says that Reflect is making a Full despite that other type being specified because no existing set was available to append to, then your definition file settings differ in some material way from those used to create your existing backups.
Edited 15 August 2022 1:53 AM by jphughan
Mintmag
Mintmag
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)Proficient Member (231 reputation)
jphughan - 15 August 2022 1:46 AM
Step through the wizard and select the same options in terms of source partitions and any customized Advanced Options that you previously used for making the existing backups. (Check the job log of one of the existing backups if you need help here.) Click Finish and choose the option to save the settings as an XML definition file, but NOT the option to run a backup now, since that will create a Full. Then try using that new definition file to make a new Differential or Incremental. If the activity window indicates that Reflect is in fact making the desired backup type, congratulations. If on the other hand it says that Reflect is making a Full despite that other type being specified because no existing set was available to append to, then your definition file settings differ in some material way from those used to create your existing backups.

I tried this and something weird happened. So I have 2 full backups from the same hard drive. They each have a unique image ID and title. I gave the XML file the title of one but it appended the Differential to the other. I'll keep messing with it and see what happens.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
If there are multiple matching sets, Reflect will always append to the newest. If you want to override that, you would have to move the other Full elsewhere. The names of the definition file and the backups themselves have no impact on this (or anything else).
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search