incremental save triggered for no reason

Author
DragonFly
New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
bonjour,
during a full backup, I modify the start ( modify hour)  of 2 incremental and oh surprise an incremental this start in the same backup set, for what reason, excuse my English

thank you for your reply
gilles

DragonFly
DragonFly
New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)New Member (21 reputation)
DragonFly - 1 July 2022 8:24 AM
bonjour,
during a full backup, I modify the start ( modify hour)  of 2 incremental and oh surprise an incremental this start in the same backup set, for what reason, excuse my English

thank you for your reply
gilles

I forgot to specify that during the full backup I also changed the incremental retention, from 10 to 5 inc
and at the end of the backup I was entitled to a consolidation
is it normal
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
How did you edit the definition file during a backup? When I try to do that, I get a message that configurations cannot be modified while a backup is running.

In terms of why you got an unexpected Incremental, your Full backup is scheduled for 9:15, and your Incremental is scheduled for 9:40. If you made that change before 9:40, then Reflect might have queued an Incremental to run after the Full. The way to avoid this is to schedule all types of your backups to run at the same time. In that case, when multiple types are scheduled, Reflect will only run one type. Your current configuration means that on any day when you will run a Full backup, you will get a Full backup at 9:15 and then an Incremental at 9:40 (or immediately after the Full completes if the Full is still running at 9:40). That doesn’t seem very useful. If you instead schedule the Full and Incremental backups for the same time, then on days when a Full backup runs, Reflect will skip the Incremental.

For consolidation, if you changed your Incremental retention from 10 to 5 and already had more than 5 Incrementals, then yes a consolidation would be normal because that is the process for purging older Incrementals while allowing the newer Incrementals remain usable.
Edited 1 July 2022 1:39 PM by jphughan
DragonFly
DragonFly
jphughan - 1 July 2022 1:36 PM
How did you edit the definition file during a backup? When I try to do that, I get a message that configurations cannot be modified while a backup is running.

In terms of why you got an unexpected Incremental, your Full backup is scheduled for 9:15, and your Incremental is scheduled for 9:40. If you made that change before 9:40, then Reflect might have queued an Incremental to run after the Full. The way to avoid this is to schedule all types of your backups to run at the same time. In that case, when multiple types are scheduled, Reflect will only run one type. Your current configuration means that on any day when you will run a Full backup, you will get a Full backup at 9:15 and then an Incremental at 9:40 (or immediately after the Full completes if the Full is still running at 9:40). That doesn’t seem very useful. If you instead schedule the Full and Incremental backups for the same time, then on days when a Full backup runs, Reflect will skip the Incremental.

For consolidation, if you changed your Incremental retention from 10 to 5 and already had more than 5 Incrementals, then yes a consolidation would be normal because that is the process for purging older Incrementals while allowing the newer Incrementals remain usable.
thank you for your answer which enlightens me a little
what I don't understand is the choice of days in the month indeed the full backup is for the 1ST of each month and the two incrementals for Wednesday of each week and Saturday of each week and the incremental is trigger anyway??
merci beaucoup ( un ami francais)

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (18K reputation)
Ah, I did not notice that the Incremental occurred on an unexpected day. In that case, which scheduling engine are you using? You can check by going to Defaults and Settings > Schedule. There are options for Windows Task Scheduler and Macrium Task Scheduler. When I was using Windows Scheduler, I had a similar problem to yours. I had a Full scheduled to run on the first day of each month, and I got a Full on that day and ALSO the day before the first day of each month. I changed the schedule to the first Sunday of each month, and I still had that problem of an additional Full on the day before the correct day. When I changed to Macrium Task Scheduler, the problems disappeared. If you are currently on Windows Scheduler, try switching. Your existing scheduled jobs will be converted, so you will not have to set them up again.
Edited 1 July 2022 2:36 PM by jphughan
DragonFly
DragonFly
jphughan - 1 July 2022 2:35 PM
Ah, I did not notice that the Incremental occurred on an unexpected day. In that case, which scheduling engine are you using? You can check by going to Defaults and Settings > Schedule. There are options for Windows Task Scheduler and Macrium Task Scheduler. When I was using Windows Scheduler, I had a similar problem to yours. I had a Full scheduled to run on the first day of each month, and I got a Full on that day and ALSO the day before the first day of each month. I changed the schedule to the first Sunday of each month, and I still had that problem of an additional Full on the day before the correct day. When I changed to Macrium Task Scheduler, the problems disappeared. If you are currently on Windows Scheduler, try switching. Your existing scheduled jobs will be converted, so you will not have to set them up again.

Thank you for your reply,
I am using macrium task scheduler and am a member of administrators group
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, then I’m not sure what happened. If you contact Macrium Support directly, they may be able to request log files from your system to help determine what happened. But I have not had any issues with unexpected backup jobs using Macrium Task Scheduler.
DragonFly
DragonFly
jphughan - 1 July 2022 3:03 PM
Ok, then I’m not sure what happened. If you contact Macrium Support directly, they may be able to request log files from your system to help determine what happened. But I have not had any issues with unexpected backup jobs using Macrium Task Scheduler.

OK, so I'll contact the support service and I'll let you know the result.
merci
gilles

DragonFly
DragonFly
jphughan - 1 July 2022 3:03 PM

Here is the answer
This could be a one-time occurrence that took place when you have changed the schedule, please monitor it on the next schedule that would run, if it occurs again delete one of the incremental schedules then create it again.
oups!!!!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search